Barcelona president, Joan Laporta, has said contract talks with Lionel Messi are “progressing adequately”.
Messi’s deal with the Catalans has expired on June 30 and a new one is yet to be agreed.
The Blaugrana are unable to put a deal in place, because they have to create room within their salary cap.
When asked for an update on discussions during the presentation of Mago Pop’s show ‘Nothing is Impossible’, Laporta said: “[Messi’s renewal] is progressing adequately.
“All the Catalans, Barcelona, Catalunya and the entire football world are happy because Leo won the Copa America.
“It is very exciting to see the best player in football history get excited about winning a title like this and he made all of us cry with joy.”
Messi becomes free agent as contract with Barcelona expires
- Copa America: Messi sets new Argentina record after 4-1 win over Bolivia
- Copa America: Messi singles out one Argentina player after semi-final win
- Copa America final: I’ll keep our friendship on line, only one can win – Neymar tells Messi
- Copa America final: Neymar slams Brazilians supporting Messi, Argentina to win
- Messi reacts as Argentina beat Brazil to win Copa America
- Copa America 2022: Messi expresses fear of contracting COVID-19
- Copa America: Messi reacts as Argentina qualify for semi-final
- Copa America: Messi reacts as Argentina qualify for final, to face Brazil
- Copa America: Messi mocks Colombian player as Argentina qualify for final
- Copa America final: What Brazil’s Casemiro said about Messi