The coach of the Portugal national team, Fernando Santos, has revealed his players were in tears, following their exit from Euro 2023 on Sunday.
The defending champions lost 1-0 to the top-ranked country in the world Belgium in the last-16 of the tournament.
Santos feels his side were hard done by, as they had four times the number of shots their opponents mustered.
Serie A: Portugal coach, Santos offers Ronaldo advice on his future
“There are players crying in the changing room. They gave everything. Belgium had 6 shots, we had 29. Sincerely I don’t have many words.
“We believed if we won this one, we would have gone on to win the next one. They scored, we didn’t. It’s football,” Santos said.
Belgium will now face another favourites Italy in the quarter-finals.
- Euro 2023: What Cristiano Ronaldo told Courtois after Belgium defeated Portugal
- Euro 2023: Ronaldo’s angry reaction after Portugal lost 1-0 to Belgium
- Euro 2023: Cristiano Ronaldo finally reacts to Portugal’s 1-0 defeat to Belgium
- Euro 2023: Roy Keane blames two players for Portugal’s 1-0 defeat to Belgium
- England vs Belgium: Interesting match features, statistics as England beats Belgium 2 -1
- Euro 2023: Ronaldo close to breaking Ali Daei’s record after Portugal’s defeat to Germany
- Euro 2023: Kroos reveals conversation with Cristiano Ronaldo after Portugal’s defeat
- Euro 2023: Ronaldo breaks goals record as Portugal crush Hungary
- Euro 2023: You’ve to know how to suffer – Cristiano Ronaldo reacts to Portugal’s victory
- Euro 2023: Ronaldo not the most valuable player in Portugal team – Bruno Fernandes