Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta has insisted that he made his substitutions at the right time during his side’s disappointing 1-1 draw with Slavia Prague on Thursday night.
This is despite coming under fire for his decisions that have now seen Arsenal’s Europa League chances hang in the balance.
Arsenal conceded an injury-time equaliser with Tomas Holes header which cancelled out Nicolas Pepe’s opener.
The Gunners are now in a dicey situation going into the second leg in Prague next Thursday.
Arteta introduced Gabriel Martinelli in the 73rd minute and both Pepe, Mohamed Elneny and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang five minutes later and many Arsenal supporters were disappointed by Arteta’s decision to wait for so long.
Ian Wright had tweeted his frustration saying: “Take the chances! Make the subs earlier! Finish the tie.”
However, the Arsenal boss said he did not make any mistake, insisting it was the right thing for the game.
“No, we know we have the possibility to change things with the five subs,” the Spaniard told BT Sport.
“We believed it was the right time for the set-up that they had, it was the right moment to do it.
“They had a big impact. If we want to win this competition the subs have a lot to say and they made an impact that we need.
“Unfortunately we didn’t capitalise at the end with the result that we wanted.”
“Well we made them when we believed it was the right time to do it,” the Spaniard added during his post-match interview.
“Whether we should do it before or not, who knows.”
- Wamanafo Mighty Royals fined GHc20,000 for assault on Match OfficialsIn GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement The Disciplinary Committee of the Ghana Football Association has imposed a total fine of GHc20,000 on Wamanafo Mighty Royals after ...[Read more]
- Stephanie Okereke celebrates 9th wedding anniversary with stunning photosIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021Popular Nollywood actress, Stephanie Okereke Linus marks her 9th wedding anniversary today with her dearest husband. Taking to Instagram to share ...[Read more]
- Why Are You Yet To Marry Chioma After Publicising Her – Man Asks Davido After Claiming He’s Ready For QuestionsIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A man identified as Daniel has asked singer Davido a couple of questions about marrying Chioma after claiming he’s ready to take ...[Read more]
- Level 200 Student Allegedly Commits Suicide Over A Failed Business DealIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT In a sad report, a second-year student of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State has committed suicide. The guy is ...[Read more]
- Armed Police Officers Robbed Barber Of N500,000In Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Human rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu has reported that some armed police officers have robbed a barber of N500,000 at upper Ikweka ...[Read more]
- Akuapem Poloo granted bail after thousands signed petition for her freedomIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentApril 21, 2021Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh has pleaded to the Ghanaian government to release actress, Akuampe Poloo who was jailed for nudity. DAILY POST recalls ...[Read more]
- Actress, Kemi Afolabi Opens Up On Her Current Health Challenges, Says She Has Not Been Able To WorkIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Kemi Afolabi who was reported to be hit with an undisclosed illness intimated on her Instagram page that the last time ...[Read more]
- UEFA releases statement after EPL clubs withdrew from European Super LeagueIn EPL, SportsApril 21, 2021Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has been left “furious” at how the European Super League saga played out as he fears for the damage to his status, ...[Read more]
- BLM protesters scream ‘we don’t want you here’ at diners outside NYC restaurantIn USAApril 21, 2021Black Lives Matter protesters were caught-on-camera harassing diners outside a family-owned Brooklyn taqueria — with dozens screaming to “stay the ...[Read more]
- Photos: Actress Stephanie Okereke Celebrates 9th Wedding Anniversary With HusbandIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Actress Stephanie Okereke Linus is marking nine years since she got married t her husband Idahosa. Today April 21, marks their 9th ...[Read more]