The English Premier League and the UEFA have threatened to ban any club among the top six on the table that takes part in the European Super League.
The threat was contained in a press released jointly signed by the two governing bodies where they condemned plans for European Super League
Twelve clubs from England, Spain and Italy have been in talks to join a new league format which would effectively bring an end to the UEFA Champions League.
The EPL’s ‘big six’ clubs: Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham, are understood to be among those clubs.
The new league format would operate without qualification or relegation.
The English Football Association, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A are other signatories of the statement.
They strongly hit back at what they described as ‘cynical project’, warning of heavy sanctions for those involved.
The statement read: “UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League.
“If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we – UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.
“We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.
“As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.”
The 2020/21 seasons of UEFA Champions League and the Europa League are currently at the semi-finals stage.
Real Madrid, Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea are the teams that made it to the semi-finals.
Real Madrid will face Chelsea, while Manchester City and PSG will battle for a place in the final.
- “That tweet had nothing to do with Wizkid” – Wizkid’s 1st baby mama, Sola shares a disclaimerIn Celebrity NewsMay 18, 2021Wizkid’s first baby mama, Sola Ogudu has quickly rushed to share a disclaimer as she denies that the tweet shared had nothing to do with her baby ...[Read more]
- Maintain 30km/hr speed limit to stay alive, FRSC to motoristsIn Local NewsMay 18, 2021The Rivers State Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps has advised motorists to adhere to the recommended 30km/hr speed limit to ensure their ...[Read more]
- Release Yourself To Be Used By God – Singer, Chidinma Urges Youth Of This GenerationIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian Gospel singer, Chidinma Ekile has urged her fans and followers across the globe to release themselves to be used by God. ...[Read more]
- De Blasio becomes instant meme after donning Brooklyn Nets gearIn USAMay 18, 2021How do you do, fellow kids. Mayor Bill de Blasio became an instant meme Tuesday when he donned a black Brooklyn Nets jersey under his open blue ...[Read more]
- Abuja: Police resist attempt to overrun Kabusa divisional headquartersIn Local NewsMay 18, 2021The Police Command of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Tuesday restored calm at the Kabusa axis following an aggressive demonstration by ...[Read more]
- “I’ve done my best as a parent, the rest of the story is for my son to share” – Wizkid’s first baby mama says as she shares a complicated messageIn Celebrity NewsMay 18, 2021Wizkid’s first baby mama, Sola Ogudu took to her social media account to share a sensitive post after her son’s birthday party. The first son of ...[Read more]
- Tuchel will be sacked if he loses UCL final, fails to finish in top four – JenningsIn SportsMay 18, 2021Chelsea fan, Rory Jennings, has said manager Thomas Tuchel will be sacked by Roman Abramovich, if he does not win silverware and finishes outside the ...[Read more]
- True Love Can Only Be Complete With Money — Actress, Chelsea EzeIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress and photo model, Chelsea Eze has dropped her two cents as she shares insights into what true love entails. In a ...[Read more]
- Real Madrid places Eden Hazard, 9 other players for saleIn SportsMay 18, 2021Real Madrid is ready to sell at least eleven players this summer transfer window, according to Diario AS. According to the Spanish newspaper, top of ...[Read more]
- Explosion rocks Gbenga Daniel’s hotel in Abeokuta, kills two, injures three othersIn Local News, NewsMay 18, 2021A technician and a yet-to-be identified persons have been confirmed dead in a gas explosion that rocked Conference Hotel, Abeokuta, the Ogun State ...[Read more]