Former Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has singled out Switzerland captain, Granit Xhaka, following his impressive display in his country’s Euro 2023 victory over France on Monday night.
Wenger said that Xhaka was exceptional for Switzerland, adding that the Arsenal midfielder rallied his teammates before the penalties.
Switzerland defeated France 5-4 on penalties after Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe saw his spot-kick saved.
The match ended in a 3-3 draw after 120 minutes at the National Arena in Bucharest, Romania.
Speaking after the game, Wenger told BeIN Sports: “He [Granit Xhaka] was exceptional, all his choices were good.
“He was the one who rallied the troops before the penalties.”
- Euro 2023: Yobo singles out one Italy player after penalty shoot-out win over Spain
- Euro 2023: Gary Neville blasts ‘clueless’ France after defeat to Switzerland
- Euro 2023: Pogba clashed with teammates after Switzerland eliminated France
- Euro 2023: UEFA hit with petition to replay France vs Switzerland
- Euro 2023: France suffers double injury blow ahead of Switzerland clash
- France vs Switzerland: Keane, Vieira agree about Pogba after 5-4 penalty defeat
- Euro 2023: Wenger names favourite for best player award
- Hundreds of boats line Lake Geneva for Switzerland-France border art project
- Copa America: Messi singles out one Argentina player after semi-final win
- EPL: Solskjaer singles out one Man Utd player after 3-0 win at Brighton