Barcelona manager, Ronald Koeman, has reminded Antoine Griezmann that the “coach is in charge” after they disagreed over the forward’s best position.
Griezmann started Barca’s first three league fixtures this season on the right of a three-man attack, but returned to a central role on international duty with France.
After scoring in the 2-1 win against Croatia on Wednesday, the 29-year-old said he felt good while representing his country because Didier Deschamps “plays me in my best position.”
The comments were reported in Catalonia as a criticism of Koeman.
Speaking at a news conference on Friday, Koeman told Griezmann to focus on delivering on the pitch rather than worry about his position.
“I spoke with Antoine [on Thursday] and I told him I’m looking out for the best for the team and I think he’s best on the right for us,” Koeman said.
“He can play in three positions. He could also play as a No. 10 or a No. 9. In fact, when I was the Dutch coach, in a game against France, he played on the right.
“I have no problem with Antoine. I can only play one No. 9, one No. 10, one No. 7 etc. I don’t play players out of position. Griezmann can play wide coming inside on his left foot. If he has another position that he likes more, that’s how it is, but we can’t have 10 players in the No. 10 role.
“I decide based on what’s best for the team. The coach is in charge and the players must be at their best when they play.”
Griezmann is yet to score for Barca this season and was singled out by Koeman for missing two chances in the draw against Sevilla before the international break.
- Apologize to Nigerians, Georgina Onuoha blast Desmond Elliot over the social media regulation sagaOctober 30, 2020Georgina Onuoha has angrily descended on Desmond Elliot over the social media regulation saga, after she was informed that, Desmond has already ...[Read more]
- Avoid the temptation of replying everything online, Zubby Micheal advises fansOctober 30, 2020Popular Nollywood actor Zubby Michael has taken to his social media page to caution all those who comment online adding that they would soon be ...[Read more]
- World Health Organisation insist hooligans attacked one of its offices in Nigeria on ThursdayOctober 30, 2020The World Health Organisation has said in a statement that some hooligans attacked one of its offices in Nigeria on Thursday, 29th October 2020, and ...[Read more]
- Desmond Elliot allegedly fathered a child with another woman without his wife’s knowledge, See details hereOctober 30, 2020Popular Nigerian actor and politician Desmond Elliot has allegedly fathered a child with another woman without his wife’s knowledge. Rumours ...[Read more]
- WizKid “Made In Lagos” gets 300 thousand views in the space of 3 hours(Pictures)October 30, 2020It is another win for internationally recognized Nigerian singer and songwriter Wizkid, as his much-anticipated album “Made In Lagos” has garnered ...[Read more]
- See things you never knew about the BBNaija NeoOctober 30, 202026 years old Emuobonuvie “Neo” Akpofure, popularly referred to as Neo, is a ride-hailing app driver and a Delta State native. He is one of the ...[Read more]
- The Biography of Ngozi Okonjo-IwealaOctober 30, 2020Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is a Nigerian economist, author and an entrepreneur. She is the first female Finance Minister and the first female Foreign ...[Read more]
- The Biography and Music Career of Tiwa SavageOctober 30, 2020Tiwatope Savage (born 5 February 1980), known professionally as Tiwa Savage , is a Nigerian singer, songwriter and actress. Born in Isale Eko , she ...[Read more]
- See how Naira Marley celebrated his Son, Jojo Marley on his 5th birthday(Video)October 30, 2020Naira Marley has celebrated his son Jojo Marley on his 5th birthday. He shared a video of Jojo’s birthday on Instagram. The young boy was full of ...[Read more]
- love your body for all the “flaws”, BBNaija Vee blast critics over her picture trending onlineOctober 30, 2020Victoria “Vee” Adeyele of Big Brother Naija 2020 has advised her fellow young ladies, especially those with low self confidence, to love their ...[Read more]