Hearts of Oak moved to the top spot of the Ghana Premier League after beating Legon Cities 2-1 win at the Accra Sports stadium on Thursday.
Kojo Obeng Junior put Hearts in front after connecting into the net a sweet pass from Daniel Afriyie Barnie pass in the 28th minute.
Frederick Ansah-Botchwey executed a delicious strike from long range to increase the lead for the Phobians in the 38th minute before Victorian Adebayor scored from a free kick to reduce the deficit for Legon Cities in the 40th minute. Legon Cities dominated the pace of the game from the 74th minute in search of the equalizer but Hearts stood resolute and held on to the lead to record another win.
The win stretches Hearts of Oak’s unbeaten run to 11 in all competitions.
In other matches, Ebusua Dwarfs moved out of the relataion zone after a 1-0 win over bottom place Inter Allies. George Asamoah provided the only goal of the game with a sublime strike as early as the 9th minute to seal victory for the Crabs.
In Sogakope, AshantiGold deepened the woes of Liberty Professionals following a 5-1 thumping at the Red Bull arena.
Simon Appiah scored first for Liberty Professionals but the miners turned the crews to win 5-1 – a rare victory on the road. Amos Nkrumah, David Abagna, Amos Addai, Seth Osei and Frank Akoto scored for the Miners. The victory lifts AshantiGold to ninth on 40 points.
Elsewhere in Tarkwa, Medeama SC threw away a first half goal to draw 1-1 with King Faisal. The match which was originally scheduled for Wednesday was rained off and had to continue on Thursday.
- Legon Cities host Hearts of Oak in Accra, Liberty battle AshantiGold Thursday – Preview
- Hearts of Oak entertain Chelsea in Accra, Liberty host Dreams FC, Ashgold battle Legon Cities – Match day 27 Preview
- Legon Cities score late to beat Liberty Professionals
- HIGHLIGHTS: Legon Cities hammer Ashantigold to move out of relegation zone
- Legon Cities: We hope hard work in training pays off against Liberty–Bashir Hayford
- GPLwk8 wrap: Legon Cities win first game of season, Wonders beat Karela at home
- #GPLwk26: Hearts go top, Legon Cities see off Aduana Stars
- Hearts of Oak want date for Legon Cities game changed ahead of Super 2 clash
- “We are ready for Legon Cities”- Hearts Oak’s Daniel Afriyie
- King Faisal beat Legon Cities to boost Premier League survival hopes