Rio Ferdinand has slammed Manchester United for being part of the ’embarrassing’ European Super League.
Ferdinand also pointed out that the clubs involved will face immediate sanctions, describing their move as a war on football.
The Premier League’s ‘big six’ – Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Manchester United – joined other 6 big football clubs in Europe as they announced a breakaway from UEFA on Sunday.
Rio Ferdinand said he is embarrassed that his former club is part of the new breakaway European Super League, describing the club’s involvement as ‘embarrassing’.
Despite a statement by the governing bodies of Serie A, Premier League and La Liga, Uefa among others, condemning the plans and threatening to block the 12 clubs, the Super League management last night announced it was going ahead with the establishment.
Ferdinand noted that with this new league in place, there is also the possibility the ‘big six’ could separate from the Premier League, a situation he believes could be a hammer blow to the domestic football pyramid.
He accused the ‘big six’ of greed and fearing the ramifications.
When asked if the clubs should face immediate sanctions, Ferdinand told BT Sport: “100%. I think this breakaway group of teams, this is a war on football. It’s a disgrace. It’s embarrassing.
“And it goes against everything football is about. It’s a closed shop for these bigwigs and it’s completely and utterly only about one thing and that’s money. The rich getting richer and the others not even being considered.
“There’s no consideration for the history, for the people in the different parts of the pyramid below the top, top teams that they’re trying to separate from. It’s a disgrace, I can’t believe it.
“How have they got the audacity to do it in the climate we’re in at the moment with the pandemic around the world?
“People struggling in the streets, people struggling all around the world, and these lot are sitting there in their own little pub or room somewhere, speaking and talking and colluding about this little idea they’ve had and then come out and break it like this.
“It’s a disgrace and I think the element of being anti-competitive goes against everything football is about. Relegation, promotion, being rewarded for winning, being punished for not winning: these are things that add to the value of our game that we love.
“It shows me that these people have no idea what football is about. It’s purely a business transaction, that’s it. There’s no thought for anyone else in the pyramid, there’s no consideration at all. I can’t believe it.
“The people that actually support this game and make it what it is – we’ve been here all this time without fans, with them this game doesn’t feel the same. And they’re the people that this is going to hurt more than anyone, and the grassroots.
“The people that make this game special are not being considered, it’s the people at the top end of the game who are making decisions without thinking about anything other than their pockets.’
On Manchester United being part of the breakaway, Ferdinand added, “I’m embarrassed. There’s been so many things thrown at the owners over the past few years, but this situation now – to be a part of that group that want to break away and leave everybody for dead – that’s an embarrassment.
“I can’t believe it. I’m sorry, I’m a Man United fan, I love the club, but I can’t stand by and support something like that at all.’
“There will be some fans who’d rather watch their team play against Barcelona one week and Real Madrid the next, and then play against X, Y and Z, because it’s the big glamour ties. But that’s a selfish viewpoint, that’s not thinking of everyone else in the pyramid, people lower down.
“You can’t have a selfish group of teams like that and people that are just thinking about themselves. This game is built on teams from all different parts, all different levels, being able to compete, being funded, being helped by the teams at the top.
“These clubs and the other big teams in the Premier League, that money filters through, it’s needed. We need them to be here and to be focused on what we’re doing here. The Champions League is there, that’s a great tournament, a great competition, what else are you looking for other than money?
“And they can never be relegated? They can never be taken out of this league? How boring is that? The excitement is not only in winning the league, but there’s as much excitement in who goes down. It’s a huge part of our game.
“Who gets promoted from the Championship? Norwich have come up, it’s an unbelievable story. And all the excitement that goes around is not only about teams at the top, it’s everybody. There’s a bigger picture than just the ones at the top, the glamour teams, the glamour ties, it’s not just about that.”
- EPL: Michael Owen advises Harry Kane amid interest from Chelsea, Man United, Man CityIn SportsMay 18, 2021Michael Owen, former Liverpool player, has advised Tottenham Hotspur striker, Harry Kane, that it’s ‘now or never’ for him to leave the club this ...[Read more]
- I’m The Rich Mnisi Of The Kitchen – Somizi BragsIn South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Taking to his social media account, the star told his fans that he just got booked for his first gig as a private chef and the food ...[Read more]
- 10 suspected rail line vandals, 7 illegal miners paraded in BenueIn Local NewsMay 18, 2021The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Benue Command, on Tuesday, paraded 10 persons over alleged vandalism of rail lines at Udei in ...[Read more]
- BBNaija’s Erica Claims She Doesn’t Get Toasters Anymore Because Men Are Intimidated By HerIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT BBNaija star Erica has revealed that she no longer get toasters as it appears some men are intimidated by her achievement and success. ...[Read more]
- Prince Kaybee To Sue YouTuber?In South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT South African musician and DJ Prince Kaybee has opted against suing YouTuber Rae Gopane after the YouTuber dragged him in the mud on ...[Read more]
- De Blasio suggests NYC could administer vaccinations in public schoolsIn USAMay 18, 2021Reading, writing and … COVID-19 shots? Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday he would consider administering the coronavirus vaccine to 12 to 15 ...[Read more]
- “That tweet had nothing to do with Wizkid” – Wizkid’s 1st baby mama, Sola shares a disclaimerIn Celebrity NewsMay 18, 2021Wizkid’s first baby mama, Sola Ogudu has quickly rushed to share a disclaimer as she denies that the tweet shared had nothing to do with her baby ...[Read more]
- ‘Love of knowledge’: Volunteers toil to populate Arabic WikipediaIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021CAIRO, May 18 – Driven by pride in their language and heritage, a growing network of volunteers is helping expand Arabic language ...[Read more]
- Maintain 30km/hr speed limit to stay alive, FRSC to motoristsIn Local NewsMay 18, 2021The Rivers State Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps has advised motorists to adhere to the recommended 30km/hr speed limit to ensure their ...[Read more]
- Release Yourself To Be Used By God – Singer, Chidinma Urges Youth Of This GenerationIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian Gospel singer, Chidinma Ekile has urged her fans and followers across the globe to release themselves to be used by God. ...[Read more]