Former Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has revealed that he rejected an opportunity to coach Real Madrid twice because he was involved in a project to build a new stadium that would replace Highbury during his time at Emirates.
Wenger explained that he was proud of his decision to turn Real Madrid down because he showed commitment and loyalty.
“When I was a kid, Real Madrid was my team,” Wenger told EFE.
“I grew up watching [Alfredo] Di Stefano, [Ferenc] Puskas, [Raymond] Kopa, Santamaria, [Paco] Gento… They made an impression on me.
“I liked Real Madrid, and with the passing of time, I ended up facing them.”
“I almost went to Real Madrid on two occasions. Not many people can say that” he added.
“But I was involved in a project to build a new stadium that would replace Highbury, and we had to finance it.
“We paid for it all ourselves. No one helped us. We paid for it on the pitch and by selling players high and buying them cheap.
“That’s why I didn’t go to Real Madrid. I wanted to finish that project.
“I rejected some of the best teams in Europe, and now I’m quite proud of that because I showed commitment, loyalty and that I can get to the end of a project.
“I didn’t look for immediate glory, I went for something deeper. In life, you can only do what you think is right. That’s my character.
“I don’t know if I made the right choices, but I did what I wanted to do.”
- Ivorian Lady Calls Out Bobrisky For Assaulting Her And Sending Her Out of His House – VideoIn Nigeria NewsMay 6, 2021ADVERTISEMENT An Ivorian lady who happens to be one of the people who benefited from tattooing Bobrisky has called him out for assaulting and sending ...[Read more]
- Seyi Shay Highlights One Of The Many Disadvantages Of Being PrettyIn Nigeria NewsMay 6, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Singer Seyi Shay has highlighted one of the many disadvantages of being pretty as people always only talk about the advantages pretty ...[Read more]
- Europa League: Arsenal eliminated, Villarreal to face Man Utd in finalIn SportsMay 6, 2021Chelsea striker, Timo Werner, has given teammate, N’Golo Kante, a new name following their side’s UEFA Champions League, UCL, semi-final second-leg ...[Read more]
- Two persons killed as armed robbers attack bullion van in OndoIn Local NewsMay 6, 2021Two persons were on Thursday evening killed in Ondo State following an attack on a bullion van by gunmen suspected to be armed robbers. The gunmen ...[Read more]
- UCL: Chelsea striker, Timo Werner gives N’Golo Kante new nameIn SportsMay 6, 2021Chelsea striker, Timo Werner, has given teammate, N’Golo Kante, a new name following their side’s UEFA Champions League, UCL, semi-final second-leg ...[Read more]
- Zidane may resign after Chelsea dump Real Madrid out of Champions LeagueIn SportsMay 6, 2021Real Madrid forward, Eden Hazard, was pictured laughing with a Chelsea defender after LaLiga giants were defeated 2-0 at Stamford Bridge on ...[Read more]
- PSG shortlist players to offload after Champions League failureIn SportsMay 6, 2021Real Madrid forward, Eden Hazard, was pictured laughing with a Chelsea defender after LaLiga giants were defeated 2-0 at Stamford Bridge on ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Lady Pens Down Love Letter To Her FianceeIn Nigeria NewsMay 6, 2021ADVERTISEMENT According to her, the love she has for him is over the moon stating that she has been in a relationship with this guy for four years. ...[Read more]
- Davido gifts daughter, Imade brand new Range Rover SUV ahead of her 6th birthday (Video)In Celebrity NewsMay 6, 2021Popular Afrobeat star, Davido Adeleke gifts his daughter, Imade Adeleke, a brand new Range Rover SUV in anticipation of her 6th birthday. The ...[Read more]
- Lawsuit says Bagel Bites aren’t made with ‘real’ mozzarellaIn LifestyleMay 6, 2021Did someone cut the cheese? On April 29, Wisconsin resident Kaitlyn Huber filed a lawsuit claiming that the pizza-flavored Bagel Bites don’t actually ...[Read more]