The Manchester City side begins their 2020-21 UEFA Champions League campaign on Wednesday with Portuguese giants, Porto paying a visit at the Etihad Stadium for Group C’s clash.
Pep Guardiola is still aiming for his first European crown since taking over at the Manchester City helm.
The English sides were sent packing by Olympique Lyonnais at last season’s quarter-final stage.
The Spaniard is yet to lead the Citizens past the last eight following his takeover in 2016. City has also failed in the early stage of the current season in the EPL-losing to Leicester City at home and was also held to a 1-1 draw by Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United.
But Manchester City goes into the UEFA Champions League showdown having beaten Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal side 1-0 thanks to Raheem Sterling first-half finish.
Here DAILY POST evaluates how City could line-up against FC Porto on Wednesday.
Absent: Benjamin Mendy (muscle), Gabriel Jesus (muscle), Kevin De Bruyne (thigh), Aymeric Laporte (muscle).
Pep Guardiola chose to line-up in a 3-1-4-2 system against Arsenal, a formation which was efficient as Manchester City prevailed from the encounter with all three points though having to contend with a number of players missing in action. However, that same formation is the one that the City boss came under intense criticism for their quarter final defeat to Lyonnais in the 2019-20 campaign.
He may decide to revert to that same team dynamics when they file out against FC Porto.
With due respect to absentees like Gabriel Jesus, Aymeric Laporte, Benjamin Mendy, main man Kevin De-Bruyne will be forced to miss the tie against the Portuguese giants.
And it would not be amazing to see how Guardiola reshuffle his pack just like he’s often done during his time in the Coaching dugout.
That could see the involvement of Ferran Torres and the German star Ikay Gundogan from the blast of the whistle.
The latter recovered from Coronavirus disease as he came off the bench in final 25 minutes against Arsenal.
Argentine forward Sergio ‘kun’ Aguero came under fire after touching linesman Sian Massey-Ellis during City’s triumph over the Gunners.
It was the Argentine’s first game after coming back from a knee problem. But Aguero will face no disciplinary query concerning the incident.
He is expected to lead the lines in place of the injured Gabriel Jesus.
Nathan Ake and Joao cancel has shown their versatility at the weekend.
But may return to their more familiar position here. Guardiola has affirmed that Ukraine’s Oleksandr Zinchenko is back fit and ready to be called upon for the visiting FC Porto side on Wednesday.
Manchester City vs. FC Porto: How Manchester City Could Line-Up Against Portuguese Giants Porto.
Ederson, Kyle Walker, Dias, Nathan Ake, Joao Cancelo; Rodri, Ikay Gundogan, Phil Foden; Ferran Torres, Raheem Sterling, Sergio Aguero.
- 3 Years After Flavour Adopted A Blind Boy, Check Out his New PhotosIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Popular Nigerian artiste, Flavour, three years ago, showed love for a young blind boy called Semah G. Flavour adopted the young to be fathered by ...[Read more]
- NYC COVID-19 numbers still rising in ‘cluster zones,’ positive rate dips statewide: CuomoIn USADecember 5, 2020The statewide COVID-19 positivity rate has fallen slightly, but infection rates are still rising in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island, ...[Read more]
- ‘Autonomous zone’ NYC bar is making big bucks on GoFundMeIn USADecember 5, 2020Staten Island’s self-proclaimed “Autonomous Zone” bar can’t legally open its doors to customers, but the joint is still managing to clean up. A ...[Read more]
- Queens man burned by dry ice on Air France flight: lawsuitIn USADecember 5, 2020That’s a knee-jerk reaction. A Queens man says he was seriously hurt after an airplane beverage cart smashed him in the knee, and an Air France ...[Read more]
- Alexandra Botez is taking the chess world by storm—live on TwitchIn LifestyleDecember 5, 2020Good chess players are master strategists and problem solvers. Alexandra Botez has one more unlikely skill in her arsenal: insults. “My dad is a ...[Read more]
- Democratic NYC mayoral candidate suggests housing homeless in Daily News officesIn USADecember 5, 2020One Democratic mayoral hopeful has a novel idea for easing the city’s homeless crisis — housing them in the vacated offices of the Daily News. ...[Read more]
- Meet Lindsay Ijeoma, The Lady With The Longest Natural Hair In NigeriaIn Nigeria NewsDecember 5, 2020Lindsay Ijeoma Chris is the woman who is believed to have the longest common hair in Nigeria so far. You will be marvelled at the length, thickness ...[Read more]
- Inside John Lennon’s last days in NYC before his 1980 deathIn LifestyleDecember 5, 2020John Lennon’s new Yohji Yamamoto jacket was gorgeous. So much so that he wanted to be photographed in his luxurious garment — with gold Asian ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Signs Another Endorsement Deal With A Fashion Designing AgencyIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Nigerian crossdresser and social media influencer, Iddris Okuneye, well known as Bobrisky keeps signing endorsement deals to advance her brand and ...[Read more]
- NYC DOE says teachers who refuse COVID-19 test will be removed from payrollIn USADecember 5, 2020Get tested — or get out. The city Department of Education posted an internal rule Friday for members of the United Federation of Teachers, ...[Read more]