Nigeria midfield star, Peter Oghenekaro Etebo has been a mainstay in the Super Eagles team over the last couple of years. He’s enjoyed playing high up the pitch for the team.
But in recent time, he’s been changed into a defensive/central midfielder, especially under the reign of manager Gernot Rohr.
Etebo may be a victim of his versatility as a player as his attacking qualities have been underutilized owing to his strength and ability to exercise much energy in midfield.
The former Warri Wolves and Feirense of Portugal attacker needs to be returned to his former attacking position.
That’s where he and Nigeria can profit from his talent as a whole. Following the above statement concerning Oghenekaro Etebo, we evaluate three (3) reasons this should be done anytime soon.
Perfect Link Up To The Attackers
Nigeria’s Etebo is a great player by all standards. Just like we’ve mentioned previously in this write up about his unwavering versatility, but his best place in the team still resides in the attacking midfield.
He’s one of the ideal players to link up the Nigerian midfield to the attack. Etebo has done marvellously well in the final third pushing for productivity upfront.
His attacking quality should not be put to the sword just because we have an Alex Iwobi or the upcoming Ovie Ejaria in the attacking midfield.
While the Super Eagles may have got players like Samuel Chukwueze, Kelechi Iheanacho and Samuel Kalu who can play behind the central striker, Etebo should also be given the freedom to fight for his place at that same position in earnest.
Speed in Transition
Etebo’s speed reveals one of his greatest advantages in going forward as a player. He’s got the impressive stamina to add to the above as he’s difficult to beat (body check) in 50-50 situation.
He can deliver the required speed and energy that Nigeria needs to make things happen in the final third.
He’s a bundle of talent as it’s obvious following his solo (run) goal that secured a 2-1 win for Nigeria against Algeria in the African U-23 Championship far back in Dakar, Senegal.
Nigeria will profit from his pace as it would make him a threat to opposing sides, especially with the talent Nigeria has got going forward in transition.
He got an eye for goal.
The former Stoke City star has an impressive involvement in the attacking third of the pitch. He’s got an eye for goal as he’s thrived many years ago scoring a couple of goals for his former sides Warri Wolves.
He was deployed in the attacking position for the U-23 team known popularly as the Dream Team (VI).
In that stance, he was one of the stand out players in the team, scoring 4 goals to ensure that Nigeria qualified for the Olympic Game in Rio De Janeiro in Brazil.
In the tournament proper, Etebo showed how good he can be in the attacking position as he single-handedly scored 4 goals in Nigeria’s 5-4 win over Asian Champions Japan.
He also scored on his Super Eagles debut as Nigeria drew 1-1 against Mohamed Salah inspired Egypt in Kaduna. He would be better off playing there even ahead of Alex Iwobi.
He’s got the big heart and with the sheer quality to perform the attacking midfield duties up to Nigerian standards at least.
- BBNaija’s Tochi Bashes Fans Pressuring Celebrities Not To Repeat Outfits (Video)In BBNaija, Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Former Big Brother Naija housemate, Tochi, has lashed out at fans who are always being on the neck of celebrities to change their clothes when they ...[Read more]
- Actor Williams Uchemba Reacts To Allegations That He Is GayIn Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Actor and comedian, William Uchemba, has reacted to allegations by a Facebook user that he is gay and strictly into men. This comes a few days after ...[Read more]
- Grammy Award 2021: “Back To Back Nominations For The African Giant” – Netizen Hails Burna BoyIn Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Burna Boy’s Twice As Tall album has been nominated for a Grammy Award in 2021. Twitter followers and fans have gone gaga over his nomination since ...[Read more]
- OAP Dotun Debunk Rumours Surrounding Death Of Wazobia FM Staff; Says He Did Not Commit SuicideIn Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Popular Nigerian On-Air Personality, Dotun, has addressed the rumours surrounding the death of former Wazobia FM staff, Hilary who was said to have ...[Read more]
- BBNaija: Cee-C Shares Her Certificates After A Fan Asked If She Bought Her DegreeIn BBNaija, Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020BBNaija reality show star, Cee-C, has shown off her educational certifications after a fan questioned her degree. Cynthia Nwadiora, popularly known ...[Read more]
- Grammy Awards: Burna Boy’s ‘Twice As Tall’ Nominated In The Best Global Music Album Category (Photo)In Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Burna Boy has been nominated in the 2021 Grammy Awards for the Best Global Album category. Twice as Tall was released on August 14, 2020, by ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky’s Apprentice, James Brown, Stuns In Bridal PhotosIn Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Apprentice of Bobrisky, known as James Brown, has caused a stir with his new bridal stunning photos. James Brown has considered the crossdresser as a ...[Read more]
- “I Am So Lucky To Have You” – Actress Tawa Ajisefini Gushes Over Husband On His BirthdayIn Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Tawa Ajisefini has taken to social media to shower praises on her husband as he celebrates his birthday today, November 24. The Nollywood actress ...[Read more]
- Funmi Awelewa Sets To Do A 1 Million Naira Giveaway (Video)In Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020Multiple award-winning Nollywood actress, Funmi Awelewa, is set to do a 1 million Naira give away to her fans. Many celebrities do give ways for ...[Read more]
- Olamide Missing In Action As Wizkid, Davido, And Burna Get Nominated For MOBO 2020 AwardsIn Celebrity NewsNovember 24, 2020The organizers of Music of Black Origin have released the 2020 awards nominations with the event set to be held live on December 9, 2020. The awards ...[Read more]