Manchester United manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has said Marcus Rashford will still “put his hand up” for penalties when he comes back to the club.
Solskjaer insists Rashford won’t be affected by his Euro 2023 final miss.
The Three Lions lost 3-2 on penalties to Italy in the Euro 2023 final, after 120 minutes of football ended 1-1.
Rashford missed from the spot, before Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka saw their spot-kicks saved by Gianluigi Donnarumma.
Solskjaer has praised Rashford for having the courage to take a penalty on such a huge stage, and has no doubt that the 23-year-old will continue to take on the same responsibilities at club level.
“You know the thing is when you step up to take a penalty, I think you’ve already won,” the United boss told the club’s official website.
“You’ve taken on the responsibility and I’m sure many of the players are hoping I don’t want to take a penalty.
“So I think it’s a great character trait to step up and say I will deal with it, [and] the consequences. You might be the hero or the one who misses. That’s football.
“You learn from it and definitely come back stronger. I’ve not seen many people, at this club anyway, who lay down and say I’ll not take a penalty anymore.
“I know Marcus is going to put his hand up and say he wants to take one for us.”
- Leeds vs Man United: Solskjaer confirms player to miss EPL tie, gives update on Rashford, others
- Brighton vs Man Utd: Solskjaer warns Rashford, Martial
- Champions League final: Chelsea practising penalties after Man Utd’s heartbreak – Tuchel
- EPL: Solskjaer names players that will miss Tottenham, Man Utd clash
- Man Utd vs Bournemouth: Solskjaer names players that will miss Premier League clash
- Aston Villa vs Man Utd: Solskjaer gives team news, reveals player that’ll play, miss match
- Man Utd vs Crystal Palace: Solskjaer confirms players to miss EPL opener
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: Solskjaer update on Maguire, Cavani, others, confirms players to miss clash
- Granada vs Man Utd: Solskjaer names player who will miss game over COVID-19
- Europa League final: Why I didn’t sub De Gea before penalties – Solskjaer