The creation of the European Super League has been officially announced.
Twelve of football’s biggest clubs in Europe confirmed defied threats from their league and UEFA, announcing they have formed a new breakaway league, with each side set to immediately receive a share of £3billion.
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham had all declared as members of the new league.
In Spain, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have all joined while Inter Milan, Juventus and AC Milan joined from Italy.
Yesterday, managements of the Serie A, Premier League and LaLiga met with UEFA to release a statement where they vowed to do everything in their power to block the breakaway, including banning clubs from playing in domestic competitions.
However, these threats did not have any effects on the breakaway clubs as they released their own statement confirming that they would be pressing ahead with plans for a new European Super League.
A statement from the newly formed group read, “Twelve of Europe’s leading football clubs have today come together to announce they have agreed to establish a new mid-week competition, the Super League, governed by its founding Clubs.
“AC Milan, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur have all joined as founding clubs.
“It is anticipated that a further three clubs will join ahead of the inaugural season, which is intended to commence as soon as practicable.
“Going forward, the founding clubs look forward to holding discussions with Uefa and Fifa to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new League and for football as a whole.
“Further, for a number of years, the founding clubs have had the objective of improving the quality and intensity of existing European competitions throughout each season, and of creating a format for top clubs and players to compete on a regular basis.
“The pandemic has shown that a strategic vision and a sustainable commercial approach are required to enhance value and support for the benefit of the entire European football pyramid.
“In recent months, extensive dialogue has taken place with football stakeholders regarding the future format of European competitions.
“The founding clubs believe the solutions proposed following these talks do not solve fundamental issues, including the need to provide higher-quality matches and additional financial resources for the overall football pyramid.
“As soon as practicable after the start of the men’s competition, a corresponding women’s league will also be launched, helping to advance and develop the women’s game.
“The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues.
“These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10 billion during the course of the initial commitment period of the Clubs.
“In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all founding clubs signing up to a spending framework.
“In exchange for their commitment, founding clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.’
Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez will serve as the Super League’s first Chairman, with Liverpool’s John W. Henry, Manchester United’s Joel Glazer, Arsenal owner, Stan Kroenke and Juventus chief, Andrea Agnelli all appointed as vice-chairmen.
Perez said of the new breakaway Super League: “We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires.”
- Ghana paired with Nigeria in AWCON qualifiersIn GhanaMay 10, 2021Advertisement Ghana have been paired with champions Nigeria in the first round of the 2022 AWCON qualifiers. The draw which was held in Cairo on ...[Read more]
- Two Chibok girls bag degrees from US university 7 years after escaping Boko Haram (Video)In Education, Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021Two former students of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state, have graduated from Southeastern University in the United States ...[Read more]
- Bayelsa Councillor rejects fundraising after she built bridge with funds meant for her official carIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021A Bayelsa State councillor, Onem Miracle Tyna, has rejected offers of a GoFundMe or any other fundraising campaign planned on her behalf by members ...[Read more]
- Villagers stunned to find giant frog as big as ‘a human baby’In LifestyleMay 10, 2021Frogzilla! Solomon Islands villagers were flabbergasted after encountering a frog as big “as a human baby” during a hunting expedition, the ...[Read more]
- I’m Still Your Crush, Don’t Try To Play Me – Olakunle Churchill ClaimsIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Newly married Olakunle Churchill has come through with some shades saying he knows he’s someone’s crush asking the person not to try ...[Read more]
- Biafra, Oduduwa: Hypocrite, Nigeria must break up – Pastor Giwa replies T.B JoshuaIn Biafra, NewsMay 10, 2021The Senior Pastor of the Awaiting the Second Coming of Christ Ministry, Adewale Giwa, has responded to T.B Joshua’s declaration that Nigeria will not ...[Read more]
- UK Army tests suit that can make their soldiers fly in the air (Video)In Viral News, World NewsMay 10, 2021The British Royal Navy and Royal Marines may soon be using a kit that would give their officers an aerial advantage during operations. According to ...[Read more]
- Paris court tries anti-racism activist for statue attackIn LifestyleMay 10, 2021PARIS — A French activist for Black rights went on trial in Paris on Monday for defacing a statue of a historical figure from France’s colonial, ...[Read more]
- Elevator packed with law enforcement officers collapses in BrooklynIn USAMay 10, 2021An elevator collapsed in a Brooklyn building Monday morning with about two dozen members of federal and local law enforcement agencies inside, ...[Read more]
- Women’s FA Cup Round of 32 draw heldIn GhanaMay 10, 2021Advertisement The draw for the round of 32 of the 2020/21 Women’s FA Cup season took place on Monday, May 10, 2021. The Teams were grouped into five ...[Read more]