The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), Abia State chapter, has called on Governors of the South East zone to intensify their effort to secure lives and property in the zone as sports can only thrive in a free and secured atmosphere.
SWAN made call in a communique signed by its drafting Committe Chairman, Hyacinth Ezindu, Secretary, Barrah Temple and Anyim Iheukwumere, made available to newsmen after its General meeting held in Umuahia, on Thursday.
The Abia Sports Association expressed satisfaction with the performances of states from the South East zone, especially Imo and Abia States which finished in the top 15 bracket at the recently concluded 20th National Sports Festival Edo 2023.
It called on states from the zone to invest adequately in the areas of provision of sports infrastructure and facilities to harness and groom the abundant sports talents in the zone.
SWAN commended the Governor Okezie Victor Ikpeazu-led administration for the massive support and encouragement it was giving to Enyimba Fc to succeed.
The Sports Writers congratulated Nigeria’s only remaining representatives in African Club football, Enyimba International FC, for qualifying to the quarter final stage of the CAF Confederation Cup and urged the club to remain focused in their bid to win the cup.
It further called on corporate bodies and well to do individuals to partner the state government to take sports in the state to the desired height.
Part of the communique read, “After deliberating on matters affecting the Association at both National and State levels, the welfare of its members,the state of sports in Abia State, the South East and the country as a whole, the meeting resolved as follows:
“The meeting pledged to work assiduously with the executives of the chapter led by Prince Vincent Obike as Chairman to actualize its planned Sports Award of the Decade and inauguration of patrons program.
“The meeting called on sports writers in the state who were yet to identify with the association to do so without further delay by formalising their membership at both State and national levels”.
- Give Us 6 Months to Make Southeast Better, but If We Fail, We Join You in Agitation — Southeast Govs Tells IPOB
- Eastern Security Network will operate without support of Southeast govs – Nnamdi Kanu boasts
- Abia govt not starving us of funds – Enyimba Football Club
- Ogun SWAN tasks Abiodun, Assembly on sports commission, trust fund bills
- Govs direct Houses of Assembly to enact laws for Southeast joint security programme
- Security Network’ll operate without you – Nnamdi Kanu fires back at Southeast govs
- No security outfit outside ESN will operate in Igboland – Nnamdi Kanu threatens Southeast govs
- Edo 2023: PDP Govs tasks INEC, security agencies on credible election
- BREAKING: Southeast Govs disown IPOB, say secessionist group not speaking for Igbos
- Southeast govs misleading people with Igbo presidency – Biafra group on anti-IPOB comments