Mesut Ozil’s time at Arsenal looks to be coming to an end, after Fenerbahce Sporting Director, Emre Belozoglu, said the player is “closer than ever” to joining the Turkish club.
The 32-year-old’s contract is set to expire at the end of the season.
However, his representatives have held negotiations with Fenerbahce, as well as DC United about a move during this transfer window.
Ozil was not registered in Mikel Arteta’s Premier League and Europa League squads for this season and has not played for the Gunners since March.
Speaking to Turkish media about the prospect of Ozil moving to Fenerbahce, Emre said: “We had a meeting with him and his agent. It’s happening slowly, but Mesut is closer than ever to Fenerbahce. The fact that Mesut’s childhood dream is still alive and Fenerbahce has such a dream has made this step so close for the first time.
“After Mesut is done with the negotiations with his club, we will have our own negotiations among ourselves. If Mesut can make a deal with his club on the terms we expect, it won’t be a burden for us financially considering our limits this year.
“Fenerbahce, or any club for this matter, can’t afford to pay salaries of 4-5m euros to football players anymore. There’s no way we would pay amounts that would upset balances within Fenerbahce or affect other players’ salaries; we can’t afford that.”
- I’ve No interest in NPP Chairmanship – Kennedy Agyapong clarifiesIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 19, 2021Assin Central Member of Parliament(MP) Kennedy Agyapong has shot down media reports suggesting he interested in being the Chairman of the New ...[Read more]
- Osun man bags one year in prison for stealing cablesIn Local NewsJanuary 19, 2021A herb dealer, Rofiat Biliameen, has petitioned a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve her two and a half-year-old marriage to estranged ...[Read more]
- Akufo-Addo asks Mr. Opare Duncan to act as National Security CoordinatorIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 19, 2021The Director for Communications at the Presidency Eugene Arhin has disclosed that the President of Ghana Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has asked Deputy ...[Read more]
- Shock as 33 people are killed in road accidents on Wenchi roadIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 19, 2021A total of 33 persons died as a result of road accidents in the Wenchi Municipality of the Bono Region in 2020 alone, MyNewsGh.com reports These road ...[Read more]
- Congratulations For Winning After Murdering Your Opponents – UN Watch Taunts Ugandan President MuseviniIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021United Nations watch has mocked the reelection of Uganda’s president Musevini for his 6th term in office. The NGO which monitors the world body, ...[Read more]
- COVID-19 surge increases strain on funeral homesIn LifestyleJanuary 19, 2021As refrigerated trucks arrive at states across the country, funeral homes say they are turning families away. As of mid-January, Los ...[Read more]
- Adamawa church suspends annual convention over COVID-19In COVID-19, NewsJanuary 19, 2021A former presidential aspirant in the 2019 general elections under the platform of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), The former ...[Read more]
- EPL: Mark Lawrenson predicts Leicester City vs ChelseaIn EPL, SportsJanuary 19, 2021Former Liverpool player, Mark Lawrenson, has predicted Chelsea to beat Leicester City 2-0 at the King Power Stadium on Tuesday night. Chelsea were ...[Read more]
- If A Christian Uttered The Rubbish Zulum Uttered, Nigeria Would Be On Fire – Reno OmokriIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Following the statement made by the governor of Borno state, Prof. Babagana Zulum on the growth of Boko Haram menace, political activist Reno Omokri ...[Read more]
- Dog imitates owner’s limp in heartwarming show of ‘sympathy’In LifestyleJanuary 19, 2021It was quite a limp-ression. An empathetic UK pooch melted hearts online after imitating his injured owner’s limp in an apparent show of solidarity. ...[Read more]