The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), Abia State chapter, has called on Governors of the South East zone to intensify their effort to secure lives and property in the zone as sports can only thrive in a free and secured atmosphere.
SWAN made call in a communique signed by its drafting Committe Chairman, Hyacinth Ezindu, Secretary, Barrah Temple and Anyim Iheukwumere, made available to newsmen after its General meeting held in Umuahia, on Thursday.
The Abia Sports Association expressed satisfaction with the performances of states from the South East zone, especially Imo and Abia States which finished in the top 15 bracket at the recently concluded 20th National Sports Festival Edo 2023.
It called on states from the zone to invest adequately in the areas of provision of sports infrastructure and facilities to harness and groom the abundant sports talents in the zone.
SWAN commended the Governor Okezie Victor Ikpeazu-led administration for the massive support and encouragement it was giving to Enyimba Fc to succeed.
The Sports Writers congratulated Nigeria’s only remaining representatives in African Club football, Enyimba International FC, for qualifying to the quarter final stage of the CAF Confederation Cup and urged the club to remain focused in their bid to win the cup.
It further called on corporate bodies and well to do individuals to partner the state government to take sports in the state to the desired height.
Part of the communique read, “After deliberating on matters affecting the Association at both National and State levels, the welfare of its members,the state of sports in Abia State, the South East and the country as a whole, the meeting resolved as follows:
“The meeting pledged to work assiduously with the executives of the chapter led by Prince Vincent Obike as Chairman to actualize its planned Sports Award of the Decade and inauguration of patrons program.
“The meeting called on sports writers in the state who were yet to identify with the association to do so without further delay by formalising their membership at both State and national levels”.
- UCL: Zidane, Guardiola Speak on City Eliminating Madrid
- Champions League: Money Chelsea were paid for eliminating Real Madrid revealed
- UCL: Chelsea striker, Timo Werner gives N’Golo Kante new name
- UCL: Kante plays down on contending for ballon d’Or after winning MOTM against Man City
- UCL final: Chelsea’s Kante ran over 12kms in 90mins against Man City – Oliseh
- Champions League: Fabregas rates Kante’s performance as Chelsea failed to beat Real Madrid
- Real Madrid vs Chelsea: Pity we don’t have Kovacic – Tuchel criticizes Kante
- Chelsea Suffered 3-0 Loss To Sheffield United, UCL Chances Dealt Blow
- UCL: Thomas Tuchel reveals Chelsea player giving him headache ahead of Real Madrid tie
- Chelsea vs Real Madrid: Zidane reveals approach to UCL tie at Stamford Bridge