Former Real Madrid player, Michael Owen, has predicted tonight’s Europa League fixtures.
Manchester United will host AS Roma in the Europa League semi-final first-leg tie at Old Trafford, while Arsenal will face Villarreal in Spain.
Providing his predictions, Owen told BetVictor, “Manchester United come into this after playing out a cagey 0-0 draw away to Leeds at the weekend.
“Roma suffered a 3-2 defeat against Cagliari, not the ideal preparation going into a Europa League semi-final first leg.
“That said, I think the Italians would settle for that kind of result here. They will be all too aware of how important it is to take a goal or two back to Italy.
“For all I have been massively impressed by United on the road this season, they have made a marked improvement on home soil over the last month or so.
“It’s now ten home matches unbeaten for the Red Devils, and on a night where I think goals will be at a premium, I reckon it will be Ole Gunnar Solkjaer’s side that go into the second leg with a slight advantage. It’s 1-0 Manchester United for me.”
Commenting on the Villarreal vs Arsenal game, Owen said, “Despite a rather patchy domestic record, Villarreal have been excellent in this year’s Europa League.
“It goes without saying that the tie carries some extra spice with Unai Emery in the home dugout. The Europa League veteran would love nothing more than to make it to the final at the expense of his former side.
“For Arsenal, they have won just two of their last eight competitive outings, however, the Gunners’ are unbeaten in seven on the road.
“I think this could be one of the more open semi-finals in Europe this week, but given the form of the home side, I reckon it’ll be the Yellow Submarine who go into the second leg with the advantage. It is 2-1 Villarreal for me.”
The kick-off time for all the games is 8 pm.
- LaLiga: Real Madrid suffer major injury blow ahead Sevilla clash
- Real Madrid suffer another major injury blow ahead of Granada clash
- Leicester City suffers fresh injury blow ahead of Chelsea clash at Stamford Bridge
- UCL: Hazard warns Chelsea ahead of second-leg tie with Real Madrid at Stamford Bridge
- Chelsea vs Real Madrid: Michael Owen predicts winner of UCL clash at Stamford Bridge
- Champions League: Real Madrid suffer major injury blow ahead of Atalanta game
- Champions League: Real Madrid suffer major injury blow ahead of Liverpool game
- Chelsea vs Southampton: Blues suffer major injury blow ahead of EPL clash
- Champions League: Real Madrid suffer fresh injury blow ahead of Liverpool clash at Anfield
- UCL: Chelsea can beat Real Madrid at Stamford Bridge – Cascarino to Tuchel