Manchester United legend, Paul Scholes, has blasted midfielder, Fred, for his part in AS Roma’s second goal during the Red Devils’ UEFA Europa League, UEL, 6-2 win at Old Trafford on Thursday night.
Scholes said Fred contributed nothing for Man United against Roma, adding that the Brazilian was ‘left wanting’ in the win over the Italian Serie A side.
Man United defeated Roma in the Europa League semi-final first-leg tie at home, thanks to goals from Bruno Fernandes, Edinson (2), Cavani (2), Paul Pogba and Mason Greenwood.
“That is what Fred is in the team for, he’s in the team to stop this type of thing,” Scholes told BT Sport when analysing Roma’s second goal.
“From their best midfield player, he gets in behind them [Man United’s defence].
“Fred… please stop that. He contributes nothing going forward, and his absolute job is to stop that type of thing. And he’s been left wanting again.”
Man United will face Liverpool in their next fixture in the Premier League on Sunday.
- UEL final: Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes give one reason Emery beat Man United
- Man United vs Villarreal: Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves, Scholes name team to win UEL trophy
- UEL final: Scholes blames Man United player for defeat to Villarreal
- UEL: Solskjaer announces Man United’s squad to face Roma in Italy
- UEL semi-final: Owen predicts second-leg results for Arsenal vs Villarreal, Roma vs Man United
- UEL: What Solskjaer told us at half-time during 6-2 win over Roma – Bruno Fernandes
- Man United vs Man City: Paul Scholes singles out three players after EPL 0-0 draw
- Man United legend Paul Scholes visited by police after breaking COVID-19 lockdown rules by throwing illegal house party
- EPL: Paul Scholes rates Man United’s title chances after 3-3 draw with Everton
- UEL final: Emery gives credit to Arsenal after Villarreal’s win over Man United