Asante Kotoko head coach, Mariano Barreto insists his side are still keeping hope alive in the race for the Ghana Premier League title.
The Porcupine Warriors lost 1-0 to direct rivals Hearts of Oak in a crucial title decider on Sunday afternoon in Accra.
The defeat has taken momentum from Kotoko, and put it directly in the hands of the Phobians, who went three points clear at the top with three games to go.
The Phobians’ last three games are against Ebusua Dwarfs, Liberty Professionals and WAFA while Kotoko will have to face King Faisal, Bechem United and Elmina Sharks.
Hearts of Oak need 6 points from the remaining games to give them a first title in 12 years while Kotoko will need to win all their remaining matches and still hope Hearts of Oak drop points in at least two of their remaining three games to stand any chance of winning the title.
”We made one mistake in the match and we conceded the goal. We had a great chance with [Augustine] Okrah, easy but we didn’t make it (score). So if you don’t make the goals (score), you accept the result. Congratulations to Hearts,” the former Black Stars trainer told StarTimes in a post-match speech.
”But I award (praise) my players. They fought, they made everything. In the end we have to wait till the end of the league,” he added.
Ghana Premier League – Citi Sports Online
- Kotoko coach Mariano Barreto’s season over after being handed 2-game ban
- GPL: Asante Kotoko coach Mariano Barreto returns to Portugal
- ‘We should have won 9-0 against Bechem’- Mariano Barreto
- GPL: Mariano Barreto returns to Ghana
- Asante Kotoko appoint former Black Stars coach Barreto
- “Protect GHPL’s skillful players from bad tackles”- Kotoko coach Barreto tells referees
- ‘Liberty stopped us from training before our game’ – Kotoko coach Barreto
- We are still in the title race – Kotoko deputy head coach insists
- Kotoko vs Bechem: Barreto recalls Annan and drops Nettey, others in 18-man squad
- We want to get Kotoko back into the CAF CL final – Barreto