The Department of Education is still struggling to keep remote learners connected.
More than 130 city schools had no contact with at least a quarter of their students on Monday, according to DOE data.
The agency reported an overall absentee rate for both remote and in-person learners of roughly 11 percent — which equates to 121,000 untethered kids across the city.
The vast majority of students in the nation’s largest school system are in remote-only classes.
City Hall reopened about 850 schools for younger students to take in-person classes in December — but only about 190,000 of all 1.1 million system students were eligible for them.
According to the DOE’s daily attendance figures for Monday, 134 schools had an absentee rate of at least 25 percent for remote learners.
Of those, 29 schools had no contact with more than half of their total enrollment.
At Bronx Collaborative HS, which enrolls about 550 kids, 60 percent were in the wind Monday.
At the High School for Teaching and the Professions, which educates roughly 400 students, 66 percent were absent.
Attendance at smaller transfer high schools, which enroll kids who previously dropped out or fallen behind on credits, was particularly low.
Individual schools are allowed to define what qualifies as a present student during remote learning and standards vary sharply.
Some teachers have told The Post they are can mark a student as engaged if they respond to a text message or email during the day while other principals demand more rigorous connections.
A total of 69 schools did not produce any remote attendance data Monday.
While the DOE provides daily attendance percentages, it does not provide a numeric tally of kids who either step into their buildings or engage remotely.
- NDLEA halts screening of 5,000 applicants as Buhari appoints new DGIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, under the auspices of Resource Forum of IMN, have called on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led ...[Read more]
- U-20 AFCON: Karim Zito invites 24 players for campingIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 16, 2021Twenty-four players have been invited to the male U-20 team, otherwise known as Black Satellites, to begin preparations for the 2021 U-20 AFCON. The ...[Read more]
- GHS1,500 stolen from another traveller at Kotoka AirportIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 16, 2021A Ghanaian whose Facebook name is given as Kwahu Mayor Koopong has complained bitterly about what he describes as thievery at the Kotoka ...[Read more]
- I was detained in Ghana’s toughest prison – Bulldog opens up about incarcerationIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 16, 2021Artiste Manager Bulldog born Lawrence Nana Asiamah Hanso has disclosed that he was detained in one of the toughest cells in Ghana following his ...[Read more]
- Actress Salma Mumin adjudged ‘liar of the year’ and More awardeesIn Entertainment, Ghana, NewsJanuary 16, 2021Actress Salma Mumin was adjudged liar of the year at this year’s Something Wicked Awards organized by Accra-based Hitz FM. The actress we could ...[Read more]
- Resumption: NANS tells FG to approve COVID-19 support funds for Nigerian varsities, PolysIn COVID-19, Education, NewsJanuary 16, 2021As the federal government directs all schools in Nigeria to resume on January 18, the National Association of Nigerian Students(NANS), has called on ...[Read more]
- Shi’ite: IMN calls for Sheikh Zakzaky, wife’s unconditional release after four years of court’s judgementIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, under the auspices of Resource Forum of IMN, have called on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led ...[Read more]
- Why IPOB won’t work, recognize Obiozor as Ohanaeze President-General – Nnamdi KanuIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Security operatives on Saturday killed several bandits in Farin Ruwa and Kuduru areas of Birnin Gwari LGA of Kaduna State. This was contained in a ...[Read more]
- Best new novels of winter 2021: 9 must-reads for fiction loversIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021With the cold weather and worsening pandemic keeping us inside this winter, there’s no better escape than a good book. Here are nine I’m particularly ...[Read more]
- Insecurity: Only God can give us victory – Femi AdesinaIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Security operatives on Saturday killed several bandits in Farin Ruwa and Kuduru areas of Birnin Gwari LGA of Kaduna State. This was contained in a ...[Read more]