The Asian woman who was bludgeoned with a hammer in an unprovoked Hell’s Kitchen attack said she plans to return to Taiwan — until New York City is safe again, according to a new report.
The 31-year-old woman, a recent FIT graduate who only wanted to be identified by her first name, Theresa, recalled the harrowing moment she was attacked while walking with a friend around 8:40 p.m. Sunday.
“[The suspect] was talking to herself, like talking to a wall,” Theresa told ABC New York. “I thought maybe she was drunk or something, so we just wanted to pass through her quickly and when I passed through her, she saw us and said, ‘Take off your f–king mask,’ which is shocking. Suddenly. I felt my head get hit by something.”
Theresa said she and a friend were walking to the subway — believing it would be safer to go together — when she was attacked on West 42nd Street near Ninth Avenue.
The suspect swung a hammer at the victim, smashing her on the left side of the face, according to police.
Theresa — who moved to New York in 2019 to earn her master’s degree at FIT — told the network she attempted to defend herself, but when she touched her head, she discovered she was bleeding.
She and her friend managed to disarm the suspect, and the hammer was recovered at the scene. The perp, however, is still on the loose.
The victim now plans to move back to Taiwan, but is open to returning to the Big Apple if the right job comes along — and when it is safe again, according to the network.
“I just wish everyone could stop this violence,” she said.
Theresa, who stayed with her parents in Taiwan to ride out the COVID-19 pandemic, said her mother warned her of the rise in anti-Asian violence across the country.
“My mom actually told me, ‘Please be careful, there’s a lot of Asian crime happening in America,’” said the victim, who returned to New York last month to look for work in exhibition design.
Nearby cafe owner Steve Olsen told ABC “there was blood all over the place” after the shocking attack.
The victim was carrying a bottle of wine before she was assaulted — and dropped it during the vicious assault, the outlet reported.
The blood has since been cleaned up, but the wine stained the sidewalk.
The incident, which is being investigated as a hate crime, comes amid a recent spate of crimes against Asian victims across the city and elsewhere.
- Two Chibok girls bag degrees from US university 7 years after escaping Boko Haram (Video)In Education, Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021Two former students of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state, have graduated from Southeastern University in the United States ...[Read more]
- Bayelsa Councillor rejects fundraising after she built bridge with funds meant for her official carIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021A Bayelsa State councillor, Onem Miracle Tyna, has rejected offers of a GoFundMe or any other fundraising campaign planned on her behalf by members ...[Read more]
- Villagers stunned to find giant frog as big as ‘a human baby’In LifestyleMay 10, 2021Frogzilla! Solomon Islands villagers were flabbergasted after encountering a frog as big “as a human baby” during a hunting expedition, the ...[Read more]
- I’m Still Your Crush, Don’t Try To Play Me – Olakunle Churchill ClaimsIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Newly married Olakunle Churchill has come through with some shades saying he knows he’s someone’s crush asking the person not to try ...[Read more]
- Biafra, Oduduwa: Hypocrite, Nigeria must break up – Pastor Giwa replies T.B JoshuaIn Biafra, NewsMay 10, 2021The Senior Pastor of the Awaiting the Second Coming of Christ Ministry, Adewale Giwa, has responded to T.B Joshua’s declaration that Nigeria will not ...[Read more]
- UK Army tests suit that can make their soldiers fly in the air (Video)In Viral News, World NewsMay 10, 2021The British Royal Navy and Royal Marines may soon be using a kit that would give their officers an aerial advantage during operations. According to ...[Read more]
- Paris court tries anti-racism activist for statue attackIn LifestyleMay 10, 2021PARIS — A French activist for Black rights went on trial in Paris on Monday for defacing a statue of a historical figure from France’s colonial, ...[Read more]
- Elevator packed with law enforcement officers collapses in BrooklynIn USAMay 10, 2021An elevator collapsed in a Brooklyn building Monday morning with about two dozen members of federal and local law enforcement agencies inside, ...[Read more]
- Women’s FA Cup Round of 32 draw heldIn GhanaMay 10, 2021Advertisement The draw for the round of 32 of the 2020/21 Women’s FA Cup season took place on Monday, May 10, 2021. The Teams were grouped into five ...[Read more]
- Why are people getting choked up watching this Extra gum commercial?In LifestyleMay 10, 2021This one hit hard. An epic new commercial for Wrigley’s Extra brand gum that celebrates the end of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021 is giving cooped up ...[Read more]