The editor-in-chief of Christian conservative satire site the Babylon Bee blasted liberal late-night comedians, arguing that they have replaced humor with “lecturing” as the left “increasingly” turns into “the party of self-righteous zealots.”
In the Saturday column for the National Review titled, “Samantha Bee Is Wrong about Comedy,” Kyle Mann wrote: “Over the last decade, late-night hosts across the board began to lay aside their relatable, everyman’s brand of comedy and pivot toward lecturing the crowd on their moral values.”
“They went from chasing laughter — no matter who the butt of the joke may have been — to chasing applause. The result has been anything but funny,” Mann railed.
Mann took particular aim at TBS’ “Full Frontal” host Samantha Bee – who has been a fierce critic of former President Donald Trump – for recently admitting that she has pulled back when it comes to making jokes about President Biden and his policies.
“Why would I purposefully undermine something that is, seems to be a great idea, pretty much across the board?” Bee explained.
But Mann hit back, saying Bee is the epitome of “what has gone wrong with leftist comedians.”
“They think the point of comedy is to make ‘really targeted jokes,’ to ‘undermine’ things, or to ‘target’ things they — and presumably their audience — disagree with,” Mann went on.
“If you find yourself unable to laugh at something, unable to find anything worthy of satire — especially in a politician like Joe Biden — you may be blinded by your own worldview. Good comedians set their point of view aside and write the best joke, the ‘point’ be damned.”
Instead, Mann said the political left “is increasingly the party of self-righteous zealots” and “disciples of a leftist religion that they cannot laugh about.”
“And it’s only getting worse as they internalize leftist ideas and find themselves unable to make fun of liberals without risking alienation or cancellation,” he continued.
Still, the conservative satirist admitted that conservatives “can be pretty bad at comedy.”
“Conservatives have tried and failed to put out good comedy shows and films to rival the late-night propaganda emanating from the left every weeknight,” he said.
“The problem with many of these attempts is that they were trying to make a point first and be funny second. No one wants the conservative Saturday Night Live or the Republican Jon Stewart (or the Christian Onion for that matter) — they want good comedy.”
And while Mann admitted that the Babylon Bee makes fun of the left more than the right, he insisted it doesn’t hold back on mocking the right.
“Yet at the same time, my favorite pieces to write are the ones that punch our audience square in the face, that call out the hypocrisy of the Right, that make fun of inconsistent living among Christians and our failure to live up to what we preach. I love satire that loves its target most of all,” he said.
But ultimately, Mann conceded, it is “up to us, the audience.”
“We have a choice when we hear jokes that criticize what we believe. We can chuckle and think, ‘I never thought about it that way,’ and maybe change for the better, or at least have a healthy and humble sense of humor about who we are,” he said.
“Or, we can choose to be offended, to cancel the comedians that would dare criticize our dogma and demand they be replaced with self-righteous moral lecturers who are preaching to the choir.”
- PHOTOS: From Miami To Mexico – Boss-chick Lawyer, Sandra Ankobiah Celebrates Her Birthday At A Beautiful Mexican BeachIn EntertainmentMay 18, 2021Google and Wikipedia say that Boss-chick lawyer, Sandra Ankobiah is 38 years old today. Huh? That’s too much for Sandra Ankobiah — and we are waiting ...[Read more]
- Inside Natasha Thahane’s Housewarming Dinner (Photos)In South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Sharing some moments from the special occasion, Thahane shared the scripture Joshua 24:15 from the Bible. “And if it seem evil unto you ...[Read more]
- MTA says de Blasio’s ‘irresponsible’ subway cop math doesn’t add upIn USAMay 18, 2021MTA leaders are calling into question Mayor de Blasio’s commitment to put more cops on the subway — accusing Hizzoner of misleading them and the ...[Read more]
- If I’m Owing You, Forgive Me Jesus Has Paid – Teni To Those She OwesIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Teniola Apata better known as Teni the entertainer has asked those she’s owing some money to forgive her because Jesus has paid for her ...[Read more]
- New Dutch exhibition takes unflinching look at slaveryIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021AMSTERDAM — The delicacy of one of the first objects in new exhibition at Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum belies its brutality. At the end of a thin iron rod ...[Read more]
- EPL: Michael Owen advises Harry Kane amid interest from Chelsea, Man United, Man CityIn SportsMay 18, 2021Michael Owen, former Liverpool player, has advised Tottenham Hotspur striker, Harry Kane, that it’s ‘now or never’ for him to leave the club this ...[Read more]
- De Blasio can’t say whether he’d vote for a Republican over Gov. CuomoIn USAMay 18, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio took the fifth Tuesday when asked whether he’d choose one of the GOP candidates running for governor over voting to re-electing ...[Read more]
- I’m The Rich Mnisi Of The Kitchen – Somizi BragsIn South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Taking to his social media account, the star told his fans that he just got booked for his first gig as a private chef and the food ...[Read more]
- Strippers are back on the job but COVID rules are hurting their payIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021When California stripper Brittney, 26, walked into San Francisco’s reopened Gold Club stripping venue again in April after a year, she was confronted ...[Read more]
- 10 suspected rail line vandals, 7 illegal miners paraded in BenueIn Local NewsMay 18, 2021The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Benue Command, on Tuesday, paraded 10 persons over alleged vandalism of rail lines at Udei in ...[Read more]