A Bronx judge on Sunday night ordered the alleged Riverdale synagogue vandal be cut loose on supervised release — reversing an earlier decision by a separate jurist to hold the suspect on $20,000 bail.
The suspect, 29-year-old Jordan Burnette, was granted supervised release by Judge Tara Collins in Bronx Criminal Court — hours after he was ordered held on bail on 42 charges stemming from his alleged 11-day crime spree, Patrice O’Shaughnessy, a spokeswoman for the Bronx District Attorney’s Office, said.
Under New York State law, a suspect hit with Burnette’s charges cannot be held on bail.
But that didn’t stop Judge Louis Nock, who earlier Sunday ordered Burnette be held in lieu of $20,000 — even though prosecutors insisted the man had to be sprung under the state’s controversial bail-reform laws.
“Given the number of attacks, we probably would have asked for substantial bail before January of 2020,” Assistant District Attorney Theresa Gottlieb told Judge Louis Nock earlier Sunday.
“The legislature did not include hate crimes in its revision of bail reform and, under the law as it exists today, this is not eligible,” she added. “We will not violate the law.”
But Nock made his ruling after deciding that the “shattering of glass” constitutes a violent felony.
Burnette is accused of shattering synagogue doors and windows, smashing multiple car windows — and dousing prayer books from Adath Israel in hand sanitizer before tossing them in the woods nearby.
A number of charges against Burnette are hate-crime related offenses.
It was not immediately clear why Burnette was called back into court Sunday night — or why he was granted supervised release.
Additional reporting by Kenneth Garger
- Queens man accused of killing, sexually abusing his 65-year-old motherIn USAMay 10, 2021A Queens man was charged Sunday with fatally beating and sexually abusing his 65-year-old mother, prosecutors said. Pushkar Sharma, 28, allegedly ...[Read more]
- Iniubong Was A Good Girl, She Promised To Start Work And Make Me Proud – Aggrieved Mother SpeaksIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The foster mother of 26 year old Iniubong Umoren, Mrs. Ime Ekpo has expressed her sadness to Sunday Vanguard. Recall that Ms Umoren was ...[Read more]
- Madness Going On In Some Parts Of The Country – BuhariIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigeria’s President Buhari has taken the opportunity to condole with all those who lost family members in what he termed the “madness” ...[Read more]
- ‘Never Marry A Mummy’s Boy’ – Counselor Adofoli To LadiesIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian counselor, Counselor Frank Adofoli has advised ladies against marrying a mummy’s boy. The renowned counselor made this known ...[Read more]
- Blessing Okoro Speaks About Who A Wife Material Really IsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian relationship coach, Blessing Okoro has spoken about who a wife material really is. The controversial personality made this ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Captured In Some Lovely Photos With Tonto Dikeh & Other Nollywood StarsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Young Nollywood actress, Regina Daniels has been captured in some lovely photos she shared on her Instagram handle. She was captured in ...[Read more]
- Davido’s Lawyer, Bobo Ajudua Celebrates Davido For Being In The Music Game For Ten YearsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The personal lawyer for Nigerian musician, Davido, Prince Bobo Ajudua has celebrated the musician for being in the music game for ten ...[Read more]
- Sam Allardyce reacts to being relegated from Premier LeagueIn Premier League, SportsMay 9, 2021West Brom manager, Sam Allardyce, has reacted after he suffered relegation from the Premier League for the first time in his managerial career. The ...[Read more]
- Davido Celebrates 10 Years Of Being At The Top In The Music GameIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian musician, David Adeleke who is known as Davido is celebrating ten years of being in the music game. The award-winning musician ...[Read more]
- Ex-NYS Senate leader Malcolm Smith also released early from prisonIn USAMay 9, 2021Former state Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith was quietly sprung early from prison last year — and is being allowed to complete the remainder of ...[Read more]