The de Blasio administration came out swinging against Council Speaker Corey Johnson’s proposed overhaul of city planning Tuesday — saying it would cost the Big Apple $500 million over a decade and slow an already complex process.
Johnson’s plan would require each of the 59 community districts to come up with their own frameworks for future development by 2025, all of which would have to meet targets for housing production and infrastructure needs.
But City Hall argued this process — which would require the city conduct almost 180 detailed studies of neighborhood impacts — would not be “feasible” and could cost the city $500 million over the next decade.
Johnson’s plan would require each community to create three potential plans to choose from — each of which would cost $2.5 million to conduct, totaling $450 million per decade, officials told the Council.
And, they added, the Department of City Planning would need another $50 million for staffing to meet the legislation’s requirements.
“We estimate that the environmental review alone would cost on the order of half a billion dollars, with significant increases in staffing needed on top of that,” said City Planning Director Marisa Lago at a committee hearing Tuesday.
“We are concerned that the ultimate impact of that time and money would be counter to our shared goals—that it would make it more difficult, not easier, to build affordable housing or site essential city facilities if these priority projects were subjected to an additional layer of bureaucracy,” she added.
Johnson, whose bill has 13 sponsors, dismissed the city’s objections, calling City Planning’s cost estimate “inaccurate and absurd.”
“It indicates that the city is not engaging with us in this conversation seriously,” fumed the speaker, who is mulling a bid for city comptroller. “There is nothing in this bill that will amount to that price tag.”
“Comprehensive planning holds an enormous amount of opportunity for our city as a whole and our individual neighborhoods,” he added. “Through this new process, we can provide communities with new resources, data and analysis to support proactive planning.”
- Even Give Away I No Do Again – BBNaija Star Khloe Snaps At Online BeggarsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021Former BBNaija star and brand influencer, Khloe has had it to the brim and can no longer tolerate it as she takes to her Snapchat to call out all ...[Read more]
- Lady called out for allegedly receiving fund from different men for 1 childIn Viral NewsFebruary 28, 2021Video vixen, Lyn Magodo a.k.a Lady Storm has been called out for allegedly receiving child upkeep fund from different men. Reports gathered that the ...[Read more]
- Kano govt intercepts suspected fake drugs worth N1mIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Over a hundred cultists have denounced cultism in Orimekpang community, Boki LGA of Cross River State Speaking at the denunciation occasion, the ...[Read more]
- Police arrest 40 suspects over criminal offences in FCTIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Over a hundred cultists have denounced cultism in Orimekpang community, Boki LGA of Cross River State Speaking at the denunciation occasion, the ...[Read more]
- Sunday Igboho Meets OPC Leader Chief Gani AdamsIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Some photos have hit the internet which showed the Yoruba activist, Ogbeni Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho meeting the leader of the Oduaa People’s ...[Read more]
- College students are turning to nonprofits for valuable intern opportunitiesIn LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021When her teaching assistant internship got scrapped overnight last summer, Pace University student Vicky Trieu, 22, of Secaucus, NJ, didn’t miss a ...[Read more]
- Video of Mya Yafai having fun with Davido and his crewIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Mya Yafai, lady who Davido was spotted holding hands with at St. Maarten in United States, recently shared a video having fun with Davido and his ...[Read more]
- AUDIO: 25-year-old nurse gunned down in robbery; 2 others in critical conditionIn GhanaFebruary 28, 2021A 25-year-old nurse (Name withheld) has been killed in a robbery at attack at a village near Wenchi in the Bono Region, MyNewsGh.com has confirmed. ...[Read more]
- Over one hundred cultists in Cross River community denounce cultismIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Anambra State Police Command has recovered a gun stolen from one of its police stations which was attacked during the End SARS protest. The command ...[Read more]
- Can a job application fail due to bad grammar or spelling errors?In LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021If I find typos in a letter or resume, I immediately disqualify the candidate from consideration. Is that too harsh? If you can’t write a typo-free ...[Read more]