Coronavirus variants now account for nearly 80 percent of the COVID-19 cases in the Big Apple, city health officials reported Thursday.
The home-grown New York City variant — which health officials suspect is more contagious than the original strain — accounted for 45 percent of the samples examined between March 22 and March 28, according to the most recent report from the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
The data reveals that the so-called UK variant of the virus, which is also believed to be far more contagious, accounted for another 30 percent of the cases.
City scientists examined the genetic makeup of virus samples collected from 1,500 cases over the seven-day period to arrive at their conclusions.
The dramatic and rapid spread of the variants may help explain why New York City’s coronavirus case levels have plateaued at such high levels after the second wave of the pandemic hit the city — even as vaccines ramp up.
- Moshood Abiola Convinced Nigerians He Was A Change Agent- Atedo PetersideIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Founder of Stanbic IBTC Bank Atedo Peterside has opined the late nationalist Moshood Abiola better known MK Abiola was not granted the ...[Read more]
- “I Spent Almost 7 Million On My Divorce And 3 Million On Custody Of My Child” – Relationship Expert, Blessing Okoro RevealsIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Relationship expert, Blessing Okoro has revealed that she had to show off some financial muscle before she was able to get through with ...[Read more]
- HG2 Filmmaker Shares His Thoughts On Why Relationships Don’t Last These DaysIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A die-hard fan of Wizkid, HG2 Filmmaker has shared his thoughts on why relationships don’t last these days based on what he has seen. ...[Read more]
- 4 arrested in Adamawa over alleged kidnap, extortionIn Local NewsApril 21, 2021Four suspects have been arrested by the Adamawa State Police Command for allegedly kidnapping some people and extorting money from others. The Police ...[Read more]
- Alex Unusual Reacts To Claims Of Dating BBNaija’s PrinceIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT BBNaija reality show star Alex Unusual has reacted to claims of dating BBNaija star Prince wondering how someone could even ask her ...[Read more]
- “People face battles that you don’t know of” – BBNaija’s Diane to fan who wish to be like herIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021BBNaija reality star, Diane Russet lectures a fan on why it is wrong to wish to be like her or someone else rather than seeing notable individuals as ...[Read more]
- Daniel McKorley named U-17 Inter club Champions League ChairmanIn GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement Ghanaian business magnate, founder and chief executive officer of McDan Group of Companies, Daniel McKorley has been named as Chairman ...[Read more]
- “If A Man Buys Me A Car, I Won’t Appreciate It As Much As I Would If He Gets Me A Shop- DidieIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian fast-rising actress, Didie Kanem has explained why she values growth and assets more than luxury. Didie Kanem caused a ...[Read more]
- “Scam and extortion must stop” – Tuface Idibia drags NCDC for their poor work ethicsIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021Nigerian singer Tuface Idibia took to his social media to call out Nigerian Center For Disease Control (NCDC) over scams and extortion towards ...[Read more]
- GFA to launch Juvenile League April 28In GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement The Ghana Football Association is set to launch the 2020/21 Juvenile Football league season. The launch is scheduled for Wednesday, ...[Read more]