New York state’s embattled health commissioner on Thursday publicly pleaded with his critics to tone down their attacks on him and Gov. Andrew Cuomo over the cover-up of the COVID-19 death toll among nursing home residents as he continued to insist he did nothing wrong.
In prepared remarks delivered at the start of a joint Assembly-state Senate budget hearing, Dr. Howard Zucker said, “I was asked to provide the numbers of deaths by facility, by location of death, by whether confirmed or presumed.”
“To the best of the [Health] Department’s ability, I have done so,” he insisted.
“If some wish to find fault with the process, I ask them to remember that we continue to battle this pandemic.”
Zucker has faced calls to resign since Attorney General Letitia James last month released a report that estimated the official tally of nursing home deaths would increase by more than 50 percent if it included residents who died in hospitals.
The DOH steadfastly refused to disclose those deaths — including by fighting a Freedom of Information Law suit filed by the Empire Center for Public Policy — until several hours after James issued her findings.
In response, Zucker finally released figures that showed nearly 12,743 total deaths, up from 8,711 — representing just those residents who died in nursing homes — a day earlier.
During his introductory remarks Thursday, Zucker acknowledged that there were “too many” nursing home deaths and implicitly defended a since-rescinded, March 25 directive for the facilities to admit COVID-19 patients from hospitals — which critics have blamed for spreading the coronavirus among residents.
Zucker also pointed to a July report from the DOH that he said offered “a comprehensive assessment of what likely happened in nursing homes, here in New York and all over the globe.”
“The virus, despite our collective best efforts to prevent it, was inadvertently brought into the nursing homes by dedicated staff at a time when we did not know enough about the science,” he said.
“Tragic. Troubling. But true.”
- It’s difficult for human to be sexually committed to one partner – Uti NwachukwuIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentApril 14, 2021Kaduna-born actress and Television presenter, Rachel Bakam, is dead. She died after a brief illness. She was 38 years old. She died on Tuesday at a ...[Read more]
- Cynthia Morgan Replies Fan Who Described Her As A GeniusIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian-born songwriter and singer Cynthia Ikponmwenosa Morgan well known as Cynthia Morgan has corrected a fan who described her as a ...[Read more]
- JAMB scraps use of email for UTME registration, othersIn Education, Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says the use of email would no longer be required for the processing of registration for the ...[Read more]
- Suspect Arrested After Remains Of High School Student Was Recovered From A Stream A Day To Her Final ExamsIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A man linked to the death of a High School Student, Brenda Ankunda has been arrested by the men of the Rukungiri Police, Ug anda. ...[Read more]
- Man Arrested For Stabbing Chief Imam For Having Sekz With His Second WifeIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Umar Jibril, popularly known as Ba’adama has been arrested by the police in Niger State for allegedly stabbing the chief Imam of ...[Read more]
- Obaseki lied – FG denies printing N60 billion for statesIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021The federal government has denied claims by Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki that N60 billion was printed in March to support allocation to states. ...[Read more]
- I Don’t Believe In Islam, Jesus Christ Is The Only Way – Reno Omokri SaysIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian award-winning author and former aide to Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri has said that he does not believe in the Islamic ...[Read more]
- “If you leave your relationship due to cheating, then you have no business with marriage” – Uti NwachukwuIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular actor and winner of the Big Brother Africa season 5, Uti Nwachukwu has issued out some invaluable advice as regards sustaining relationship ...[Read more]
- Malta will pay travelers to book hotel stays to make up for COVID-19 lossesIn LifestyleApril 14, 2021This Mediterranean island is paying travelers to vacation. Malta, the island in the Mediterranean Sea just south of Sicily, will pay ...[Read more]
- Tacha Akide celebrates birthday of rumoured daughter as she clocks 3 (Video)In Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular reality star, Natacha ‘Tacha‘ Akide marks the birthday of her alleged daughter as she clocks three years old today. It would be recalled that ...[Read more]