New York’s restaurant workers should receive priority access to the coronavirus vaccine, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday — putting him at odds on the issue with Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
The idea of expanding eligibility for the coveted shots to the group has been debated since Cuomo last week cleared restaurants to resume indoor dining at 25 percent capacity, starting Feb. 14.
“Restaurant workers now are going to be in enclosed places with people eating and drinking,” said de Blasio during a City Hall press briefing. “Every doctor on this line or anyplace else will say that’s an area of concern.
“Now that the state has made this decision [on indoor dining] it follows that we have to protect those workers and they should be added to the 1B category.”
The state, not the city, has the authority to determine which New Yorkers are eligible to be vaccinated when, and has established a tiered list of priorities.
The rollout is currently up to tier 1B, which includes first responders, school employees, grocery store workers and peopled age 65 and up.
While lacking the authority to make the change happen himself, de Blasio said that he believed Albany would take notice of his remarks at the briefing.
“I think when I say these thing publicly it’s duly noted in Albany,” he said. “These are folks who serve us, who we depend on, who in the course of one of their shifts will be in contact with multiple people. We need to protect them.”
Asked about the idea Monday, Cuomo pointed out that New York is already grappling with a severe lack of vaccine doses due to supply-chain issues, a problem that has forced the postponement of tens of thousands of appointments and closure of inoculation sites.
Making restaurant workers eligible at this point, Cuomo said, would require booting another group from the eligibility list.
- NYC makes it easier for elderly, restaurant workers to get COVID-19 vaccines
- NYC restaurant workers hold ‘wake’ for industry outside Gov. Cuomo’s office
- Cuomo shoots down expanding COVID vaccine eligibility to restaurant workers
- Gov. Cuomo pulls out phony ‘box of vaccines’ during COVID-19 briefing
- “The COVID19 vaccines we are taking in Nigeria are not Bill Gates vaccines and we are not being used as Guinea pigs” – FFK
- I can help FG procure Coronavirus vaccines for N150bn, N400bn budgeted for vaccines is in excess – Peter Obi
- Staten Island restaurant owners slam de Blasio, Cuomo over NYC indoor dining ban
- Nigeria’s Separatist Group Lambasts Vice-President Osinbajo For Opposing Self-Determination Agitation In US
- YouTube censors epidemiologist Knut Wittkowski for opposing lockdown
- Judge tosses suit opposing new temporary homeless shelter at NYC hotel