Mayor Bill de Blasio on Monday insisted that the massive gap in COVID-19 vaccinations between residents of the Big Apple’s rich and poor neighborhoods will be cured in the coming weeks — even as city data continues to show a massive lag.
“I think that difference is closing over time,” de Blasio said in response to questions at his daily press conference.
“We want to do everything to help close it more, and I believe when we get into the height of vaccination, which will be, you know, this month, next month, June — as we really are getting ample supply, I think you’re going to see that gap close more and more.”
Data from the city’s Health Department shows that residents who live in poor, often minority neighborhoods are getting jabbed with one of the three coronavirus vaccines at just a fraction of the rate as those in richer, whiter neighborhoods in Manhattan.
Just 21 percent of the residents in the Far Rockaways’ zip code of 11691 have gotten at least one shot, compared to an astonishing 64 percent of the residents who live in the Upper East Side’s 10075.
A previous Post analysis revealed that Manhattan’s core of wealthy neighborhoods, which sit south of 110th Street, are home to a disproportionate number of the public and private healthcare institutions and pharmacies dispensing the vaccine.
De Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo have repeatedly promised to tackle the gulf between New York’s haves and have-nots when it comes to vaccine access, but the large disparities remain.
Hizzoner chalked up some of the problem to a lack of trust in low-vaccine neighborhoods about inoculations as well as the larger healthcare system.
A January survey — at the beginning of the vaccine rollout — found that nearly 80 percent of white New Yorkers were willing to get the shots as soon as they were available, an opinion held by just 39 percent of black respondents.
In response, the city Health Department announced it would dedicate a substantial portion of its $8 million a month public service campaign budget to tackling the issue.
“There has been a disparity in willingness and all the other challenges that go with an unequal society,” de Blasio said. “But our job is to overcome that, to go out in communities, to create grassroots sites, to do the door-to-door efforts, to do homebound seniors, all the things that we think will help to bring more fairness, equality to the process.”
And, he added: “Over time, I do think it will even up quite a bit.”
Top 10 least vaccinated zip codes:
- Far Rockaway/Hillcrest (11691) – 21.41%
- Hunts Point (10474) – 22.70%
- Laurelton/SE Queens (11413) – 23.44%
- BedStuy/Crown Heights (11233) – 23.49%
- East New York (11207) – 23.65%
- Brownsville (11212) – 23.66%
- Rosedale/SE Queens (11422) – 23.88%
- Canarsie (11236) – 23.98%
- East New York (11208) – 24.15%
- Borough Park (11219) – 24.19%
- Crown Heights (11213) – 24.40%
- Sir Alex Ferguson slams idea of Super League, speaks on Man Utd’s involvementIn SportsApril 18, 2021The English Premier League and the UEFA have threatened to ban any club among the top six on the table that takes part in the European Super League. ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Baker Murdered In His HouseIn Nigeria NewsApril 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT According to a publication sighted on Instablog9ja, popular Bayelsa-based baker, George Dokubo has been murdered. Sources told the ...[Read more]
- Groom Slaps His Bride At Their Wedding ReceptionIn Nigeria NewsApril 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A Twitter user has shared an almost unbelievable story by saying a groom landed a hefty slap on the face of his newly wedded wife at ...[Read more]
- Policeman at Adeniji station threatened to kill me – Mr MacaroniIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentApril 18, 2021Former Bad Boy rapper, Robert Ross popularly known as Black Rob is dead. He died on Saturday at the age of 51. This is coming just a few days after ...[Read more]
- FA Cup: Iheanacho sets up Chelsea vs Leicester City finalIn SportsApril 18, 2021The English Premier League and the UEFA have threatened to ban any club among the top six on the table that takes part in the European Super League. ...[Read more]
- WPL Mach report: Lady Strikers surrender two goal lead to lose to Thunder QueensIn GhanaApril 18, 2021Advertisement Thunder Queens put up a dramatic second half performance that ensured they rallied from 2 goals down to beat Lady Strikers 3-2 on match ...[Read more]
- #GPLwk20: Bechem United trash Aduana Stars, Medeama close gap to KotokoIn GhanaApril 18, 2021Hafiz Konkoni scored a brace as Bechem United made light work of former champions Aduana Stars at the Nana Gyeabuor Park on Sunday in Match Week 20 ...[Read more]
- WPL Mach report: Prisons Ladies beaten by Ashtown Ladies at Coronation ParkIn GhanaApril 18, 2021Prisons Ladies lost 1-0 to Ashtown Ladies on match day 9 of the Women’s Premier League at the Sunyani Coronation Park. Prisons Ladies, second on the ...[Read more]
- “Lil bro is blessed” – Rema’s manager, Sean Okeke lauds singer over achievements at 20 yearsIn Celebrity NewsApril 18, 2021Rema’s manager, Sean Okeke has praised the achievements of the talented and young artiste at a very early age (20 years). Taking to his ...[Read more]
- WPL Match report: Hasacaas Ladies beat Immigration to maintain unbeaten runIn GhanaApril 18, 2021Advertisement Hasaacas Ladies continued their supreme form after crashing Immigration Ladies 3-0 on match day 9 of the Women’s Premier League at the ...[Read more]