Mayor Bill de Blasio on Monday praised the rogue judge who tried in vain to lock up an accused synagogue vandal — and said the state’s controversial bail reform law should be reconsidered for hate crimes.
“I really respect judges using their discretion when they see a situation — obviously within the law, of course, within the law — but where they think there’s a particular threat or challenge and they make that decision within the law, I respect that,” he said.
De Blasio also said that allowing judges to set bail in cases of non-violent hate crimes was “an area that we definitely should look at again because hate crimes are such a profound challenge.”
“But the important thing for us to do right now is to work within the law as intensely and effectively as possible to protect people,” the mayor said during his daily briefing from City Hall.
De Blasio’s remarks came even though he appointed the judge who overturned the initial decision to set $20,000 bail for Jordan Burnette and instead set him free Sunday night.
Burnette, 29, is accused of smashing windows and glass doors at four Jewish houses of worship in the Riverdale section of the Bronx during an 11-day spree that began when he allegedly pulled the fire alarm at the Riverdale Jewish Center on April 21.
That synagogue was also the target of a bomb plot by four Muslim converts who were busted by the feds in 2009.
At Burnette’s Sunday arraignment on 42 counts, including criminal trespass and aggravated harassment, acting Bronx Criminal Court Judge Louis Nock ordered him held on $20,000 bail or $30,000 bond.
Nock tried to lock up Burnette even though a 2019 state law eliminated cash bail for most misdemeanors and non-violent crimes.
Nock said he believed that the “shattering of glass” amounted to a violent felony, adding, “I’ve taken a very close look at the law.”
Court-appointed defense lawyer Morgan Everhart appealed the ruling, and it was overturned Sunday night by acting Bronx Supreme Court Justice Tara Collins, who released Burnette without bail pending a Friday court appearance.
Collins is a former Legal Aid lawyer who was appointed by de Blasio in 2017.
Burnette couldn’t be reached, but his mom, Sharon Burnette, told The Post by phone, “Our son is a really good guy but he’s struggling and we’re trying to get him help.”
She declined to comment further, saying his lawyer “told us not to say anything.”
- Young man caught for allegedly stealing a generator and a mattress in Delta stateIn Viral NewsMay 9, 2021A young man has been apprehended for allegedly stealing a generator and a mattress in Delta state. According to a report, the incident occurred in ...[Read more]
- Olakunle Churchill, Welcomes Actress Rosy Meurer With A Bouquet of Flowers, As She Returns To Nigeria With King Churchill Jnr [VIDEO]In Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Olakunle Churchill, the estranged husband of popular Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh, treated his wife, Rosy Meurer to a resounded ...[Read more]
- Monarch released by kidnappers after N700, 000 ransom, accuses subjects of abandonmentIn Local News, NewsMay 9, 2021A traditional ruler in Esuk Atu village in Calabar Municipal Council of Cross River State, Etubom Nto Okon Etim has regained his freedom from his ...[Read more]
- Man Happily Tattoo Mercy Eke’s Face On His Arms – VideoIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT A full-grown jobless man has tattooed the face of BBNaija star Mercy Eke on his arms despite all the brouhaha going on ...[Read more]
- Kaduna mob kill man for stabbing resident to deathIn Local NewsMay 9, 2021Bandits on a revenge mission yesterday afternoon reportedly killed 11 villagers and injured others when they attacked Tsatskiya community in Safana ...[Read more]
- “I love you scatter” – Banky W celebrates his wife, Adesua Etomi on mothers’ dayIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Sensational singer and actor, Olubankole Wellington, popularly known as Banky W has celebrated his wife, Adesua Etomi in the most adorable way on ...[Read more]
- Many Women Want To Have Kids For Me, That’s Why I Don’t Cheat – Mr IbuIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Veteran Nigerian actor, Mr. Ibu legally known as John Okafor has opened up on why he made a decision never to cheat on his wife. ...[Read more]
- Two more anti-Asian bias incidents reported in Brooklyn, QueensIn USAMay 9, 2021Enlarge Image Ida Chen, a physician assistant student, unfold a banner she carry at rallies protesting anti-Asian hate, Saturday April 24, 2021, in ...[Read more]
- Eric Adams says he’s concerned about wealthy New Yorkers fleeing cityIn USAMay 9, 2021Mayoral hopeful Eric Adams is concerned about wealthy New Yorkers fleeing the city — and says a safer, cleaner city would help keep them here. “I ...[Read more]
- “His teacher described him as a kind boy” – Linda Ikeji opens up on why she does not spank her sonIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Billionaire blogger, Linda Ikeji has opened up on the fact that she doesn’t spank her son, Jayce, yet he’s growing up to be a kind boy. The mother of ...[Read more]