Mayor Bill de Blasio said Thursday that Rudy Giuliani — once hailed as “America’s Mayor” for leading the city through 9/11 — “has come unhinged.”
The comments come a day after federal agents raided the former mayor’s apartment and office as part of an investigation into his dealings in Ukraine.
“It’s a sad thing to have to say about a predecessor,” de Blasio said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. “But Rudy Giuliani has just come unhinged in every sense. He attached himself to Donald Trump but then went even farther and decided to be one of the most extreme voices in the Trump world.
“And his regard for the law, he left way back on the road,” de Blasio added. “He went from somebody that once upon a time as a US attorney we thought was an example of upholding the law to now someone who has just no respect for the law. So sadly…this does not surprise me one bit.”
The Wednesday morning raids were reportedly tied to an investigation into whether Giuliani illegally lobbied the former Trump administration on behalf of officials and oligarchs in Ukraine — where he traveled while trying to dig up dirt on then-candidate Joe Biden and his son, Hunter.
Rudy Giuliani’s son, Andrew Giuliani, blasted the raids as “disgusting” and “absolutely absurd” on Wednesday.
“And it’s the continued politicization of the Justice Department, as we have seen,” he said outside his father’s swank Manhattan apartment building on East 66th Street.
“And it has to stop,” he added. “If this can happen to the former president’s lawyer, this can happen to any American. Enough is enough.”
Andrew — who is considering a run for New York governor — also repeated his dad’s assertion that the feds refused to take copies of Hunter Biden’s computer hard drive that were in Rudy’s possession.
“The only piece of evidence that they did not take up there today was the only piece of incriminating evidence that is in there,” he said. “And it does not belong to my father. It belongs to the current president’s son.”
A call to Giuliani’s cell phone went straight to voicemail Wednesday afternoon.
- Feds seized 18 devices from Rudy Giuliani and his employees in April raid
- Federal agents raid Rudy Giuliani’s NYC apartment
- Federal agents raid Rudy Giuliani’s NYC apartment in Ukraine probe
- Rudy Giuliani’s son, Andrew, calls FBI raids ‘disgusting’
- Rudy Giuliani pushes for GOP mayor, says de Blasio ‘killing’ NYC
- Rudy Giuliani rips ‘intellectually challenged’ Bill de Blasio amid riots
- Rudy Giuliani at RNC: Biden will bring Bill de Blasio-like ‘lawlessness to your city’
- Rudy Giuliani says he has no evidence he’s under investigation by the SDNY
- Rudy Giuliani says the feds ‘are trying to frame me’
- Art-appraisal firm says Rudy Giuliani owes $15K for divorce work