One Democratic mayoral hopeful has a novel idea for easing the city’s homeless crisis — housing them in the vacated offices of the Daily News.
The tabloid shuttered its office space at 4 New York Plaza in August amid ongoing concerns over COVID-19. Its staff now works remotely.
“There are a lot of companies that are right now going to have employees that are going to be working from home,” Joycelyn Taylor, a contracting entrepreneur, said during a candidate forum on Saturday. “We’re going to have a lot of office space that’s going to be available. It’s an opportunity now for us. Let’s take the Daily News for example, they mentioned that none of their employees are going back.
“We can do quick conversion of some of these office spaces to provide more stability and permanency for them in this moment. So those are some of the things that I would be looking at,” she said.
A rep for the Daily News did not immediately respond when asked if it would be in favor of the proposal.
Taylor was joined at the forum by most of the heavy hitters in the Democratic primary, including Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, city Comptroller Scott Stringer and Maya Wiley, a former counsel to Mayor De Blasio.
The forum, which focused on housing and homelessness issues, was sponsored by the West Side Neighborhood Alliance and Housing Conservation Coordinators. The conversation was moderated by Gotham Gazette executive editor Ben Max.
- Wike joins calls for Buhari to remove Service ChiefsIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Armed Forces Day: Oby Ezekwesili reveals why pigeons refused to fly, mocks BuhariIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Husband, wife in court over alleged possession of Indian hempIn Local NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Police on Friday arraigned husband and wife, Asaolu Sheu (65) and Asaolu Jemilat (45), before an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court over alleged ...[Read more]
- Kaduna: Security operatives comb criminal hideouts in KadunaIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Acting Chief Judge orders 29 protesting Magistrates to vacate courtsIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Auto crash claims 15 lives in BornoIn Local NewsJanuary 15, 2021Some residents of Coca Cola, Leventis, Ajibade, Ajegunle, Oke- Itunu and neighbouring communities within Ibadan North Local government area have ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: Nasarawa govt issues new directive to schools over resumptionIn COVID-19, Education, NewsJanuary 15, 2021Governor Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa has approved the re-opening of all schools in the state with effect from Monday, January 18. Hajiya Fatu Sabo, ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: Ogun announces date for schools resumptionIn COVID-19, Education, NewsJanuary 15, 2021Governor Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa has approved the re-opening of all schools in the state with effect from Monday, January 18. Hajiya Fatu Sabo, ...[Read more]
- Barcelona postpones club’s Presidential electionsIn SportsJanuary 15, 2021Former Premier League and La Liga striker, Michael Owen, has predicted some of the English Premier League Match-day 19 fixtures. Liverpool will host ...[Read more]
- EPL: Michael Owen predicts Liverpool vs Man United, Arsenal vs Newcastle, Fulham vs Chelsea, othersIn SportsJanuary 15, 2021Former Premier League and La Liga striker, Michael Owen, has predicted some of the English Premier League Match-day 19 fixtures. Liverpool will host ...[Read more]