NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea blasted anti-cop protesters as “criminal groups” as he voiced concerns about the “constant” rhetoric against law enforcement.
The top cop made the comments on PIX 11 Wednesday morning, after host Dan Mannarino mentioned the cop-hating podcast posted online by Jessica Beauvais, 32, hours before she allegedly mowed down NYPD officer Anastasios Tsakos early Tuesday.
Mannarino asked Shea to speak about anti-cop rhetoric in general.
“I’ve been pretty vocal about it, Dan,” Shea said. “We had ‘Kill cops’ graffitied last week, not for the first time in New York City. We had the attack on the crime scene detective unprovoked … this week.
“You’re seeing a constant rhetoric … whether it’s at some of these criminal groups that walk around Manhattan — I’m not calling them protests at this point … they’re going around and committing crimes, and I think it’s long past time where leaders across this city stood up and called it out for what it is,” the commissioner added.
In another interview earlier this month, Shea demanded jail time for the protesters arrested for causing mayhem in Manhattan following the police shooting death of Daunte Wright in Minnesota.
Some of the group allegedly spray-painted “Kill cops,” “F–k the cops” and “ACAB” — which stands for “All cops are bastards” — on walls, doors and cars, including a Range Rover.
But in a different interview with NY1 earlier Wednesday, Shea told host Pat Kiernan he believes “the vast majority of people across this country support their law enforcement, know that they need their law enforcement.”
“I think the problem is, you know, there’s no consequences when they’re doing things and it’s fueling this just toxic environment right now,” he added. “I think that leaders [have] got to do a better job of standing up and calling it out, and I think people either don’t have the moral courage to do that, or they’re scared to do that because they’ll be protested against.”
- Dermot Shea blasts Maxine Waters’ words to protesters as ‘reckless’
- Police Commissioner Dermot Shea: Our criminal justice system is ‘imploding’
- Protesters at Hunter College hijack Zoom with ‘anti-Semitic’ rhetoric: students
- NYPD top cop Dermot Shea calls for bail reform in wake of Post exclusive
- NYPD top cop Dermot Shea calls NYC health chief’s remarks ‘very disturbing’
- NYPD backs down from bust of cop-assault suspect — on Dermot Shea’s order
- NYPD top cop Dermot Shea says City Council bowed to ‘mob rule’ with NYPD cuts
- Cop who punched, dragged homeless man off train won’t be punished: Dermot Shea
- NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea slams NYC protesters as ‘antithesis’ of MLK
- Dermot Shea blasts NYC shelter system after brutal attack on Asian woman