Comptroller Tom DiNapoli said Thursday that State Attorney General Letitia James can launch a sweeping criminal probe of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s controversial COVID-19 nursing home policies and decisions without a referral from DiNapoli’s office.
DiNapoli responded to a letter sent to him last month by VoicesForSeniors, a group founded by relatives of nursing home residents who died from the coronavirus last year.
In the letter, the group urged DiNapoli to make a “referral” to Attorney General Letitia James under Section 63(3) of the state’s Executive Law to probe Cuomo’s nursing home policies and actions during the pandemic that rocked New York last year — including the financial terms for the publishing of the governor’s “Leadership” book amid the pandemic.
Such a referral would permit DiNapoli and James to “use both the audit power of the comptroller’s office and the investigatory and enforcement power of the attorney general,” the activists said.
But DiNapoli passed the buck on Cuomo’s COVID-19 nursing home scandal and put the ball in James’ court.
In a letter released Thursday, DiNapoli counsel Nelson Sheingold said the AG’s Medicaid Fraud and Control has the legal authority to investigate the Cuomo administration’s handling of nursing homes during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Sheingold noted the attorney general had already issued a damning Jan. 28 report on nursing homes that found Cuomo’s health department had undercounted COVID-linked nursing home deaths by 50 percent.
After months of stonewalling, the health department released an updated and dramatically higher count of coronavirus nursing home resident deaths just hours after James’ bombshell analysis. More than 15,000 elderly residents of nursing homes and other long term facilities were killed by COVID.
James is already investigating sexual harassment allegations against the governor.
The US Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn and the FBI are also looking into the administration’s handling of nursing home deaths and other COVID policies.
Meanwhile, there is an impeachment investigation being conducted by the state Assembly Judiciary Committee, which is looking into accusations that Cuomo’s team moved his family members — including brother and CNN anchor Chris Cuomo — to the head of the line for getting COVID tests at the onset of the pandemic, as well as the nursing home and harassment scandals.
“Based on my discussions with your office, it is my understanding that under the existing authority vested in the the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud and Control Unit, your office already possesses the requisite authority to conduct any criminal investigation related to nursing homes,” Sheingold said in a letter to Jose Maldonado, the deputy attorney general for the criminal division.
Vivian Zayas, co-founder of VoicesForSeniors, said, “The ball is now in AG Leticia James court, and we hope she will pick up the mantle.
“We ask again for a meeting with her on behalf of 15,000 dead nursing home residents and for her to start an investigation into Cuomo,” Zayas said.
Zayas said the AG should investigate Cuomo’s whether connections to key hospital industry executives and lobbyists influenced his decision to pass a law last year shielding medical facilities from malpractice suits during the pandemic.
She also said the AG should investigate the controversial March 25, 2020, state Health Department directive that required nursing homes to admit recovering COVID patients discharged from hospitals.
In its March 19 letter to DiNapoli, “Voices for Seniors” letter raised questions that included “How and why did the governor’s administration issue the March 25 order?” to admit COVID-19 patients and “Were there financial considerations in that decision?”
They also asked, “Who wrote Governor Cuomo’s ‘book’ and did they do so on the state’s dime? Are there communications between the governor and the publisher that establish a profit motive for the coverup?”
The Assembly impeachment probe is looking into whether Cuomo used state government staffers to write his book, and whether he deliberately low-balled COVID-19 nursing home resident deaths in an official health department report released last July while completing the book on the pandemic.
James and Cuomo had no immediate comment.
Cuomo has maintained he acted appropriately.
- Daniel McKorley named U-17 Inter club Champions League ChairmanIn GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement Ghanaian business magnate, founder and chief executive officer of McDan Group of Companies, Daniel McKorley has been named as Chairman ...[Read more]
- “If A Man Buys Me A Car, I Won’t Appreciate It As Much As I Would If He Gets Me A Shop- DidieIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian fast-rising actress, Didie Kanem has explained why she values growth and assets more than luxury. Didie Kanem caused a ...[Read more]
- “Scam and extortion must stop” – Tuface Idibia drags NCDC for their poor work ethicsIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021Nigerian singer Tuface Idibia took to his social media to call out Nigerian Center For Disease Control (NCDC) over scams and extortion towards ...[Read more]
- GFA to launch Juvenile League April 28In GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement The Ghana Football Association is set to launch the 2020/21 Juvenile Football league season. The launch is scheduled for Wednesday, ...[Read more]
- Annie Idibia Causes A Stir As She Unveils New LookIn EntertainmentApril 21, 2021Nollywood actress Annie Idibia have sparked reaction on social media after showing off her new look. The mother of two, via her Instagram, is seen ...[Read more]
- JUST IN: Akuapem Poloo Granted BailIn EntertainmentApril 21, 2021Rosemond Brown aka Akuapem Poloo has been granted bail after she was sentenced to 90 days in prison for posting a n*de photo of herself and her son ...[Read more]
- Simi opens up on the struggle of motherhood, getting bullied by her daughterIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021Award-winning singer, Simisola Kosoko, a.k.a Simi speaks on the challenges of raising her daughter, Adejare, regarding random bullying act every once ...[Read more]
- ‘Your Scam And Money Thieving Portal Is Becoming Embarrassing’- Singer, Tuface Idibia Calls Out NCDC For Frustrating TravelersIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Tuface Idibia who shared videos of him ranting while at the NCDC, bemoaned the exorbitant COVID-19 compulsory fees travelers have to ...[Read more]
- GFA Executive Council begins broader consultation on reasons behind recent fans misbehaviourIn GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement The Executive Council of the Ghana Football Association has begun a broader consultation on reasons for the recent attacks on match ...[Read more]
- “If Nigeria breaks up, History won’t be fair to Buhari” – CANIn NewsApril 21, 2021The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, has warned that history will not be kind to President Muhammadu Buhari if Nigeria breaks up during his ...[Read more]