An infectious diseases expert is denying claims from Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration that he’s served as a “chief advisor” who spoke with the governor on a “regular basis” — saying the pair have only had “one five-minute conversation in my entire life.”
Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, went on PBS’ “Firing Line with Margaret Hoover” where he was asked what he thought about Cuomo’s COVID-19 response, and the nursing home scandal — which is under investigation by the FBI and the Eastern District of New York US Attorney’s Office.
“First of all, I haven’t had, not had anything to do with his nursing home activity at all,” Osterholm says, according to a preview of an upcoming episode. “I came on basically in early June only just to review data on a weekly basis; did it meet the standards that they had set?”
The epidemiologist clarified that he’s never spoken to Cuomo until recently.
“I’ve had one, five-minute conversation in my entire life with Gov. Cuomo, just a few weeks ago when he called me, just to congratulate me on a TV program appearance,” he added.
Host Margaret Hoover pressed Osterholm that his answer is entirely different than what Cuomo’s administration claims, which is that he’s served as the governor’s chief adviser during the pandemic response.
“You said you’ve only spoken to Governor Cuomo once, but one of his top aides said that [Cuomo] spoke to you on a regular basis, that you were one of his top advisors,” she says.
“That’s absolutely not true,” Osterholm replies. “Never true. I’ve had one, five-minute conversation, which was a surprise.”
Cuomo top aide Melissa DeRosa — in response to a New York Times article stating that nine top health advisers quit because Cuomo didn’t value their advice — told lawmakers last week that Dr. Anthony Fauci and Osterholm are considered to be the governor’s “chief advisors,” according to a transcript obtained by Politico that offered new details into their conversation.
Osterholm reiterated in the PBS interview that his role was just to review data as he was told to do by Cuomo’s staff.
“I have a paper trail of all of the emails,” he added. “All I ever was asked to do is did this meet the red, green, or yellow zone numbers? And that was it. I’ve never, I’ve not had a discussion with him and I’ve not met with any of them. I’ve never had a Zoom call with any of them.”
The Post exclusively revealed last week that DeRosa privately admitted to Democratic lawmakers that the administration hid nursing home death numbers over fears that they would be prosecuted by federal prosecutors.
DeRosa’s bombshell admission prompted lawmakers on both sides of the aisle to call for an investigation.
Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi previously said in response to the federal probe, “As we publicly said, DOJ has been looking into this for months. We have been cooperating with them and we will continue to.”
- My support for Kumerican Movement unquestionable – Okyeame KwameIn Entertainment, GhanaFebruary 28, 2021Legendary Hiplife artiste and ‘Yeeko’ hitmaker, Okyeame Kwame born Kwame Nsiah-Apau has revealed to Amansan Krakye on Kastle FM monitored by ...[Read more]
- Implement creative arts bill immediately – MUSIGA to new MinisterIn Entertainment, GhanaFebruary 28, 2021The Acting President of the Musicians Union of Ghana (MUSIGA) Bessa Simons has lauded the tourism, culture and creative arts Minister-designate, ...[Read more]
- Retract, apologize, resign! – Prof Azar to Judicial Service officials who authorized media releaseIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021Legal luminary and relentless public intellectual, Professor Stephen Kwaku Asare fondly referred to as Kwaku Azar has called on persons behind the ...[Read more]
- How Davido and Mya Yafai hooked up and spent time together in Ghana (Screenshots)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Recent reports have it that Nigerian singer, Davido and Young Ma’s ex girlfriend, Mya Yafai were together in Ghana last year December. Recall Davido ...[Read more]
- Akufo-Addo to receive standing ovation in Churches after breaking his silence on HomosexualityIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021President Akufo-Addo has broken his long silence over the raging subject of homosexuality currently under discussion in Ghana saying at the St. ...[Read more]
- More information on 2018 SHS graduate who led robbers to kill ambulance driver, molested paramedic outIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021A recent Senior High School graduate, John Appiah alias Omega who was named by Police as leader of a team of robbers who attacked an ambulance and ...[Read more]
- Crowd protests ‘SNL’ vaccine joke as anti-SemitismIn USAFebruary 28, 2021Enlarge Image Former state Assemblyman Dov Hikind, seen here in a file photo, led a protest outside NBC’s “SNL” studios Feb. 27, ...[Read more]
- Meet Davido’s alleged new girlfriend, Mya Yafai (Photos/Video)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Award winning Nigerian singer, Davido caused an uproar on Twitter after he was spotted holding hands with a mystery lady. However, after an ...[Read more]
- Knicks fans dropping hundreds on last-minute COVID tests before gamesIn USAFebruary 28, 2021Knicks fans desperate to get back to Madison Square Garden are ponying up $250 for last-minute COVID tests before tip off, in order to meet new state ...[Read more]
- Here’s what you can’t do at a New York wedding reception amid COVID-19In USAFebruary 28, 2021Bring your COVID-19 test results, a face mask and a tape measure to the next wedding reception you attend. New York’s strict new rules for weddings ...[Read more]