It’s “open” season!
Big Apple parents swarmed an East Harlem playground Saturday for a rally to urge the city to immediately reopen public schools, outnumbering those who showed up at the same spot to back remote learning by a wide margin.
About 100 pro-openers swarmed Wagner Playground, countered by about 50 people from the other side for the mostly civil, dueling demonstrations.
“Like plants, kids need to be outside,” said Megan Rha, a mom of four from Queens. “They need to see what life is like outside their house.”
Stephanie Felix, a West Harlem resident and mother to three, said opening schools is a critical step to regain normalcy amid the pandemic.
“Without the schools opening, free childcare, daycare — that’s the most important stuff to go back to normalcy,” she said. “Amazon and Alexa are my best friends. I check on my children though a camera so I can go back to work. It’s terrible. I’m not supposed to do it, but they need to eat,” she said, through tears.
But Paullette Healy, a mother and resident of Bay Ridge, spoke for remote education.
“Vaccines are not the answer to reopening schools. If our child is to take multiple medications just to walk out that door, how can you insist that child go back into a school where covid is still rising?” she asked.
The reopening rally was organized by Harlem Jets and and #KeepNYCSchoolsOpen; the counter-rally was organized by a number of groups including the Alliance for Quality Education, the Movement of Rank and File Educations and BLM at Schools NYC.
Mayoral candidate and self-described “frustrated public-school parent,” Andrew Yang joined the pro-openers in calling on Mayor Bill de Blasio to open city schools “five days a week with extra-curricular activities and athletics.”
“I was talking to a parent here who said that she has a nephew in Long Island who’s been back in school for months,” Yang said. “Why is New York City failing its families to this degree?”
“Because of de Blasio!” yelled a man in the crowd.
The mayor’s press secretary, Bill Neidhardt, responded in a statement: “Andrew Yang should know that Mayor de Blasio already announced school will return in full force in September. It was Mayor de Blasio who opened schools when no other major city even tried months ago. We put schools first and that will never change.”
As he left the rally, Yang was confronted by a handful of parents who backed remote learning.
“Our kids are not your props!” several shouted.
- You Don’t Have To Reveal Anything To Be Beautiful — Actress, Olayode Juliana To WomenIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress, Juliana Olayode has dished out a word of advice to her fellow ladies in a recent post on social media that has ...[Read more]
- GPLwk25: Hearts beat Elmina Sharks to reclaim second placeIn Ghana, NewsMay 16, 2021Accra Hearts of Oak beat Elmina Sharks 2-0 on Sunday at the Accra Sports Stadium, in a matchday 25 encounter, to move back into second place on the ...[Read more]
- Others Were Accepted But I Was Rejected Thrice At Ritualists Shrine – Nurse Kidnapped In Rivers State Shares Her Chilling EncounterIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT An 18-year-old auxiliary nurse, Rachael David, has narrated how close she came to death as she was abducted by suspected ritualists in ...[Read more]
- “My Lower Body Was Detached From The Upper Body” – Nigerian Woman Marks 15 Years Since She Survived Ghastly Motor A1ccidentIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT According to her, she was involved in a ghastly motor accident on her way back from church and left for dead by the driver and rider. ...[Read more]
- MTA exec accuses mayor of being out of touch with subway safety fearsIn USAMay 16, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio’s hulking height and security team leave him out of touch with the reality of subway safety, Interim Transit President Sarah ...[Read more]
- ‘Follow Your Wife’- Davido Tells Tiwa Savage Son, Jamil To Take His Rightful Place As Imade’s Future Husband [VIDEO]In Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Interestingly, Nigerian singer and songwriter, David Adeleke popularly known as Davido knows exactly who will put the wedding ring on ...[Read more]
- Mom of teen shot dead in Bronx says she can’t afford to pay for funeralIn USAMay 16, 2021The heartbroken mom of a Bronx teenager shot dead Saturday night is desperately seeking answers in his death — as she worries about paying for his ...[Read more]
- Poll: Majority of NYC Dem voters support city subway and bus takeoverIn USAMay 16, 2021Most Democratic New York City voters want the next mayor to wrest control of the city’s subways and buses from Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state ...[Read more]
- COVID-19 jabs to continue in four subway stations despite small turnoutIn USAMay 16, 2021New York will continue to administer COVID-19 jabs at four MTA train stations — even though the pilot program has doled out fewer than 50 percent of ...[Read more]
- Three violent attacks mark another morning of NYC subway mayhemIn USAMay 16, 2021One straphanger was robbed at gunpoint and two others socked in the face early Sunday morning in another round of public transit violence, according ...[Read more]