Mayoral hopeful Scott Stringer is being accused of hypocrisy for having ripped public figures over the sex-harassment claims against them — while saying he deserves the benefit of the doubt in his own case.
Stringer issued scathing statements in 2018 saying he believed the accuser who claimed then-Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her.
Kavanaugh flatly denied the accusation and ended up being confirmed to the nation’s top court.
Stringer, currently New York City’s comptroller, also wrote a letter in late November 2019 to McDonald’s board chairman, Enrique Hernandez Jr., about the company’s handling of CEO Steven Easterbrook after Easterbrook’s alleged sexual misconduct.
Stringer, as overseer of the city’s pension funds, which include investments in McDonald’s, wrote that the company should have fired Hernandez “with cause,’’ thus reducing his severance package, because he “clearly violated an express provision of the Standards of Business Conduct by entering into a sexual relationship with a subordinate.”
In addition, Stringer has called on Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign amid a slew of sex-harassment allegations. Cuomo has denied any wrongdoing as a state probe into his actions continues.
But critics say Stringer is now singing a different tune for himself — after former associate Jean Kim accused him of sexually mistreating her during his 2001 campaign for public advocate.
Kim, who says she was toiling as an unpaid intern for his campaign at the time, has claimed Stringer repeatedly groped her and said, “Why won’t you f–k me?”
Stringer has fired back that Kim is lying, although he says she did volunteer on his campaign and that they had a consensual relationship.
“It’s definitely a double standard that every perpetrator tries,’’ said Erica Vladimer of the Sexual Harassment Working Group, referring to Stringer’s alleged “Do as I say, not as I do” behavior.
“Stringer is like every other perpetrator trying to have it both ways,” said Vladimer, whose group works to expose harassment by state lawmakers.
“I believe Jean Kim,” she said, adding, “You can be sexually abused in a consensual relationship.’’
Stringer’s campaign has attempted to undermine Kim’s credibility by linking her to political foe Andrew Yang’s campaign for mayor.
Kim has distributed petitions with the names of Yang and other candidates on them, but she denies being a Yang supporter or having any role in his campaign.
The Stringer campaign declined requests for comment.
- Barcelona out, LaLiga title to be decided on last day between Atletico, RealIn SportsMay 16, 2021This year’s LaLiga title will be decided on the final day of the season in the Spanish topflight. Atletico beat Osasuna 2-1 at home on Sunday, to ...[Read more]
- Suspect in string of NYC bank robberies bustedIn USAMay 16, 2021A convicted serial bank robber is back behind bars after allegedly pulling off a string of Big Apple heists — while still on parole for previous bank ...[Read more]
- Stop Waiting For Aso Rock – Atiku Tells Nigerian GovernorsIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has urged governors from all states to come together and solve the insecurity facing the country ...[Read more]
- Man charged with shattering NYPD patrol car windowIn USAMay 16, 2021The rear windshield of an NYPD patrol car was smashed in Manhattan as officers responded to a call of a man with a knife, the city’s largest police ...[Read more]
- You Don’t Have To Reveal Anything To Be Beautiful — Actress, Olayode Juliana To WomenIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress, Juliana Olayode has dished out a word of advice to her fellow ladies in a recent post on social media that has ...[Read more]
- GPLwk25: Hearts beat Elmina Sharks to reclaim second placeIn Ghana, NewsMay 16, 2021Accra Hearts of Oak beat Elmina Sharks 2-0 on Sunday at the Accra Sports Stadium, in a matchday 25 encounter, to move back into second place on the ...[Read more]
- Others Were Accepted But I Was Rejected Thrice At Ritualists Shrine – Nurse Kidnapped In Rivers State Shares Her Chilling EncounterIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT An 18-year-old auxiliary nurse, Rachael David, has narrated how close she came to death as she was abducted by suspected ritualists in ...[Read more]
- “My Lower Body Was Detached From The Upper Body” – Nigerian Woman Marks 15 Years Since She Survived Ghastly Motor A1ccidentIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT According to her, she was involved in a ghastly motor accident on her way back from church and left for dead by the driver and rider. ...[Read more]
- MTA exec accuses mayor of being out of touch with subway safety fearsIn USAMay 16, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio’s hulking height and security team leave him out of touch with the reality of subway safety, Interim Transit President Sarah ...[Read more]
- ‘Follow Your Wife’- Davido Tells Tiwa Savage Son, Jamil To Take His Rightful Place As Imade’s Future Husband [VIDEO]In Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Interestingly, Nigerian singer and songwriter, David Adeleke popularly known as Davido knows exactly who will put the wedding ring on ...[Read more]