The Democratic primary for mayor will be the first citywide election to use a ranked-choice voting system — but the new system may ultimately not matter, a new poll shows.
Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, who has a six-point lead in the latest NY1/Ipsos poll over a sliding Andrew Yang and surging Kathryn Garcia earns the most first-choice votes and would also win over both of them under the new tabulation system where voters can rank up to five candidates.
When NY1 performed the ranked-choice voting simulation, Adams wins 60-40 over former Sanitation commissioner Garcia and 58-42 over Yang.
It takes the former NYPD captain Adams seven rounds in the winnowing process to get to those victories.
The poll, taken from May 17 to May 31, surveyed 906 likely Democratic voters and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.4 percentage points.
The former cop’s leapfrogging in the polls comes as public safety is on the minds of New Yorkers ahead of what will likely be a bloody summer.
Almost half, 46 percent, of voters say public safety should be the top priority for Mayor Bill de Blasio’s successor. Adams, a retired NYPD captain, leads other candidates by 22 percentage points when pollsters asked voters who they trust most to address crime.
In addition, 72 percent of Democrats say the city should add more NYPD officers, according to the poll.
Early voting begins Saturday in the rapidly approaching June 22 mayoral primary.
Metro | New York Post
- Eric Adams narrowly edges Kathryn Garcia in preliminary ranked-choice results
- Eric Adams narrowly edges Kathryn Garcia in preliminary ranked-choice results, slams BOE over vote total
- Garcia, Yang to campaign together before first ranked-choice vote
- Kathryn Garcia catapults into lead over Adams, Yang in new mayoral survey
- Kathryn Garcia slams Andrew Yang as ‘sexist’ for suggesting she be his deputy
- ‘Second’ rate: Andrew Yang says Kathryn Garcia is great runner up in mayoral debate
- New NYC mayoral poll shows Eric Adams leading Andrew Yang ahead of first debate
- Andrew Yang plummets, Eric Adams leads in new Democratic mayoral poll
- Eric Adams holds strong lead in mayoral race over Andrew Yang, new poll shows
- New poll has Eric Adams edging out a slipping Andrew Yang for NYC mayor