He’s not gutting the show just yet.
“Late Late Show” host James Corden is reportedly planning to revise the show’s “Spill Your Guts” segment amid skyrocketing support for a petition calling for the piece’s cancellation. The UK TV personality spilled his guts on the proposed makeover in an interview on “The Howard Stern Show,” Deadline reported.
The controversy began earlier this month after TikTok star Kim Saira released a video criticizing the “Spill Your Guts” piece in which Corden, 43, forces celebrities to answer uncomfortable questions or eat “gross” foods. Some of the so-called disgusting dishes included embryonic duck eggs, chicken feet and other eats that are “regularly eaten by Asian people,” per the clip.
Not satisfied with merely airing “SPG’s” dirt on camera, Saira started a petition on Change.org demanding that the “Carpool Karaoke” creator to either remove or change the segment for its “insensitive” portrayal of Asian foods, issue a formal apology, and donate to organizations working to help Asian-owned restaurants and small businesses.
“So many Asian Americans are consistently bullied and mocked for their native foods, and this segment amplifies and encourages it,” Saira wrote in the doc, which had over 45,000 signatures as of Monday morning. She deemed the program particularly tone-deaf in light of the nationwide spike in anti-Asian hate crimes.
And while Corden won’t be gutting “SYG” just yet, he apparently plans to change the “disgusting foods” featured in the skit.
“We heard that story, and the next time we do that bit we absolutely won’t involve or use any of those foods,” the UK entertainer told Howard Stern on his US show. “As you said at the start, our show is a show about joy and light and love — we don’t want to make a show to upset anybody.”
In accordance, “Spill Your Guts” will now reportedly feature “gross” delicacies of the more high-octane, artery-clogging variety.
“In the same way that when we played it with [Vogue editor] Anna Wintour, we gave her a pizza covered in cheeseburgers,” Corden said of the sketch’s new direction.
However, it appears that Saira was “disappointed” with Corden’s mea culpa, which she apparently only found out about weeks after the late-night talk show host’s appearance on Stern, Today reported.
“In my petition, I have specifically asked for James Corden to publicly apologize on his show” wrote the cultural crusader in a statement. She argued that “the reason why I was really specific about that was because I think that it is imperative for his hundreds of thousands of viewers to understand the harm that mocking these foods, rooted in Asian cultures, has on Asian people who still eat them.”
She added, “Besides that, I still think he should be donating to Asian organizations as well.”
Living | New York Post
- James Corden spills his guts as petition over ‘insensitive’ bit gains steam
- Woman behind ‘Spill Your Guts’ petition: I’m getting death threats over James Corden
- TV host, James Corden admits he’s ‘preparing’ to quit the US because his family are becoming ‘homesick’ amid COVID-19 pandemic
- James Corden and The Muppets Deliver a Friday Pick-Me-Up with “A Little Help From My Friends” Performance
- Dirty laundry and James Corden: Today in the Johnny Depp libel case
- James Corden might ‘in line’ to replace Ellen Degeneres: report
- James Corden might be ‘in line’ to replace Ellen Degeneres: report
- Stephen Colbert, James Corden returning to studios next week
- ‘Desus & Mero’ Want James Corden to Take Over For Ellen… So That They Can Host ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- Stephen Colbert and James Corden to Begin Filming In-Studio Next Week