Kathryn Garcia isn’t flattered by Andrew Yang’s repeated insistence he’d make her his deputy if he wins this year’s New York City mayoral election.
The former sanitation commission and mayoral hopeful said it was “sexist” for Yang and other male opponents in the race to suggest she’d accept a role as their behind-the-scene side-kick.
“I would like Andrew Yang to stop saying that. I’m not running forNo. 2,” Garcia said in an interview with The New Yorker published Saturday. “It’s totally sexist. Totally sexist.”
Yang, a newcomer to city politics, has said he would appoint Garcia deputy mayor to handle the nuts and bolts of City Hall.
“I’m already thinking about how to staff the administration and make sure we can actually move the bureaucracy,” he told The Post’s Editorial Board on Thursday. “I have my eyes very wide open for people like Kathryn.”
“It makes it sound like they’re giving me a compliment, but they’re not,” Garcia told the New Yorker, referring to Yang and Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, another polling frontrunner, who she said has “has straight up told other people, particularly when going for endorsements, ‘Well, I’d make her deputy mayor.’”
“Are you not strong enough to actually do this job, without me helping you? You should be strong enough. You shouldn’t need me,” she told the magazine.
“To be quite clear: I don’t need you guys, to run this government.”
Adams’ campaign did not return a request for comment. A rep for Yang told the New Yorker the frontrunner “has enormous respect for Kathryn Garcia and that’s why he’s often said he’d seek her partnership at city hall if elected mayor.”
In addition to her tenure as sanitation boss under Mayor Bill de Blasio, Garcia helmed the New York City housing authority and served as the city’s “food czar” during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Polls show Garcia with around 5 percent of the vote — far behind Yang and Adams.
The 2021 Democratic primary will be the city’s first mayoral primary with ranked-choice voting, where voters can list their second, third and fourth and fifth choices.
- Why I Quit ‘The Johnsons’ – Spiff Finally Speaks OutIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The Johnson is a long-running program that has been aired on Africa Magic since 2012. Some actors in the series include Charles Inojie ...[Read more]
- Here’s An Alleged Reason Why Desmond Elliot Is Being Dragged OnlineIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Desmond Elliot has been trending on social media platforms with people blaming for one thing or the other. Desmond Elliot used to be ...[Read more]
- President Buhari’s Former Minister ‘Mama Taraba’ Is DeadIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Former Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Aisha-Jummai Alhassan fondly called Mama Taraba is dead. She died at 61 in ...[Read more]
- Davido Allegedly Buys Range Rover For His 1-Year Old Son, IfeanyiIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Popular Nigerian artist and songwriter Davido has allegedly bought a brand new range for his 1-year old son Ifeanyi a few days after he ...[Read more]
- Please You Are Not Well – Omotola Jalade Reacts After Man Drew A Portrait Of HerIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress and movie producer Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde has reacted sarcastically to a portrait a man drew of her. One of the ...[Read more]
- Here’s the trail of death and destruction allegedly left by members of NYC’s ‘Hoolies’ gangIn USAMay 8, 2021This week’s indictment of 18 reputed gang members not only solved the infamous slaying of a 1-year-old Brooklyn boy, it nailed those responsible for ...[Read more]
- Charter school backer starts PAC to boost Eric Adams’ bid for mayorIn USAMay 8, 2021A major charter school backer is launching a Super PAC to help elect Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams the next mayor of New York City. Jenny ...[Read more]
- NYC family says 12-year-old’s ‘suspicious’ death happened after school attack over $1In USAMay 7, 2021Romy Vilsaint died after losing consciousness at his Flatbush on May 7, 2021. HANDOUT PHOTO/Roodwiny Exantus Police are investigating the death of a ...[Read more]
- Cops say death of 12-year-old NYC boy is ‘suspicious’In USAMay 7, 2021Police are investigating a 12-year-old Brooklyn boy’s death as suspicious. Emergency responders were called to 2920 Cortelyou Road in Flatbush Friday ...[Read more]
- Manhattan Judge says NYC federal lockups are ‘run by morons’In USAMay 7, 2021A senior judge in New York blasted the conditions of two notorious federal jails in the city during a recent sentencing hearing — saying they are run ...[Read more]