The owners of an Upper West Side apartment where an elderly man’s dead body was decomposing for two weeks say police won’t let cleaners in to fumigate the pad — so now they’re suing to clear the air.
The owners of the West 72nd Street unit filed the suit against the NYPD in Manhattan Supreme Court on Monday.
They say the studio was first sealed off by cops on April 15, when the 80-year-old tenant’s remains were discovered inside by a building manager.
The man was believed to have died around April 1 — but his corpse wasn’t found until other residents complained of “a strong foul odor” coming from his unit, the suit states.
Cops removed the body and the building manager placed deodorizers inside and opened the windows “to try to alleviate the foul smell emanating from the bodily fluids,” according to the manager’s affidavit.
The manager then called the cops the next day, on April 16, seeking access so he could clean and fumigate the unit, after he received “multiple complaints from neighbors residing in apartments located on the same floor,” the court papers say.
But police said they couldn’t grant access to the apartment without a court order, the suit says. This is an NYPD protocol to protect the property of people who pass away while living alone, according to the department patrol guide.
“A terrible odor continues to emanate from the apartment and I am concerned that mice and other vermin might also be inside,” an affidavit from the building manager says.
The tenant had been living in a rent-stabilized unit for over a decade. He didn’t have any kids or a spouse, his sister told the building manager, giving him consent to enter the unit, the court filing says.
Now, Bank of America — the trustee for the owners — is asking a judge to grant it the right to have others go inside twice a month to inspect, clean, fumigate, exterminate and maintain the flat.
NYPD spokesperson Jessica McRorie said: “The NYPD will review the lawsuit if and when we are served.”
A lawyer for the bank declined to comment.
Additional reporting by Tina Moore
- Inside Natasha Thahane’s Housewarming Dinner (Photos)In South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Sharing some moments from the special occasion, Thahane shared the scripture Joshua 24:15 from the Bible. “And if it seem evil unto you ...[Read more]
- MTA says de Blasio’s ‘irresponsible’ subway cop math doesn’t add upIn USAMay 18, 2021MTA leaders are calling into question Mayor de Blasio’s commitment to put more cops on the subway — accusing Hizzoner of misleading them and the ...[Read more]
- If I’m Owing You, Forgive Me Jesus Has Paid – Teni To Those She OwesIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Teniola Apata better known as Teni the entertainer has asked those she’s owing some money to forgive her because Jesus has paid for her ...[Read more]
- New Dutch exhibition takes unflinching look at slaveryIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021AMSTERDAM — The delicacy of one of the first objects in new exhibition at Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum belies its brutality. At the end of a thin iron rod ...[Read more]
- EPL: Michael Owen advises Harry Kane amid interest from Chelsea, Man United, Man CityIn SportsMay 18, 2021Michael Owen, former Liverpool player, has advised Tottenham Hotspur striker, Harry Kane, that it’s ‘now or never’ for him to leave the club this ...[Read more]
- De Blasio can’t say whether he’d vote for a Republican over Gov. CuomoIn USAMay 18, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio took the fifth Tuesday when asked whether he’d choose one of the GOP candidates running for governor over voting to re-electing ...[Read more]
- I’m The Rich Mnisi Of The Kitchen – Somizi BragsIn South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Taking to his social media account, the star told his fans that he just got booked for his first gig as a private chef and the food ...[Read more]
- Strippers are back on the job but COVID rules are hurting their payIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021When California stripper Brittney, 26, walked into San Francisco’s reopened Gold Club stripping venue again in April after a year, she was confronted ...[Read more]
- 10 suspected rail line vandals, 7 illegal miners paraded in BenueIn Local NewsMay 18, 2021The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Benue Command, on Tuesday, paraded 10 persons over alleged vandalism of rail lines at Udei in ...[Read more]
- Eating junk food for a month took 10 years off my life: doctorIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021A British physician who used his body as a test subject claims that one month on a junk food diet has shaved 10 years off his life. For four grueling ...[Read more]