Mayor David Dinkins was a “fighter for what was right,” who basked in the love of adoring citizens and helped usher in New York’s next generation of leaders, local dignitaries recalled during a celebration of the late mayor’s life in Harlem.
“There is a whole generation in this city that got our start because of David Dinkins,” Mayor de Blasio said from Al Sharpton’s National Action Network headquarters in Upper Manhattan, at an event attended by former US Rep. Charles Rangel and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, among others.
“They got a helping hand from David Dinkins. They got that word of encouragement. There’s a generation of people who believed they could make a difference because they saw David Dinkins do it first. He has a human legacy you can feel right here in this room,” de Blasio said.
Dinkins, the Big Apple’s first black mayor who served during an era when the city was gripped by crime and racial strife, died Monday. He was 93.
Dinkins was like a “brother,” said Rangel, who noted the mayor’s tendency for long conversations with constituents — and how proud he was to lead New York City.
“He was so sincere about loving people. So sincere that I just stopped going out publicly with him because of the time he would spend with people that really didn’t like him — but loved him — and the time he would spend with children, I would never get a chance to get in a restaurant,” Rangel quipped.
“I could see in his heart that he enjoyed to be able to say he was the mayor of the City of New York.”
Sharpton touted Dinkins for inheriting a city that was “broke and divided,” and addressing his enemies with “grace and dignity.”
“I have known him since I was 16, and David Dinkins was a fierce fighter for what was right, he had his own way of fighting,” Sharpton said.
De Blasio, who worked for the Dinkins administration, recalled Nelson Mandela’s historic 1990 visit to City Hall and a Yankee Stadium rally for the South African leader as a “beautiful, powerful moment,” and credited Dinkins for welcoming Mandela to the city just five months after he was freed from 27 years in prison.
“It was breathtaking,” de Blasio said. “It felt like . . . time stood still.”
- US: ‘We’re ungovernable’ – Protesters vandalize Democratic Party headquarters, othersIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje has called on the market community in the State to ensure that they strictly adhere to the COVID-19 protocols ...[Read more]
- Floyd Mayweather ‘Engaged To Stripper Girlfriend Anna Monroe’ After Months Of DatingIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Floyd Mayweather is reportedly engaged to his girlfriend Anna Monroe. The retired professional boxer, 43, is said to have popped the question to ...[Read more]
- American rapper, Lil Wayne breaks silence on Donald Trump’s presidential pardonIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Hollywood actress, Gabrielle Union has revealed that her husband Dwyane Wade is not a fan of her onscreen sex scenes and has often asked for a ...[Read more]
- Four motorcycle snatchers, arms’ smuggler arrested in KebbiIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021A 20-year-old man, Ismaila Tahiru, has been remanded by an Ile-Ife Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing a Bajaj motorcycle. The accused person ...[Read more]
- ”My heart is at peace seeing my mother happy” – Young man’s mum dances as he buys a brand new carIn Gossip, Viral NewsJanuary 22, 2021A young man has taken to social media to show off the new car he bought for himself and presented to his mother. Taking to his Twitter page ...[Read more]
- 2 Years Celibacy No Be Beans – Actress Uche Ogbodo Celebrates HerselfIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Nollywood actress Uche Ogbodo has taken to Instagram to celebrate 2 years of not having any sexual contact with anyone. The actress revealed that she ...[Read more]
- Copa del Rey: Koeman blasts Barcelona players for missing two penalties against CornellaIn SportsJanuary 22, 2021Atletico Madrid boss, Diego Simeone, has described striker, Luis Suarez, as an ‘extraordinary player’ after the Uruguay international scored a brace ...[Read more]
- Police in Delta arrest man for killing, burying girlfriendIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021A 20-year-old man, Ismaila Tahiru, has been remanded by an Ile-Ife Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing a Bajaj motorcycle. The accused person ...[Read more]
- COVID-19 vaccination: Africa in danger of being left behind – WHOIn Health, News, WHOJanuary 22, 2021The Chemo-Genomics Research Institute of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, CRIA, in collaboration with the ABUAD Multi-system Hospital, AMSH, have ...[Read more]
- Restructuring Alone Won’t Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Goodluck JonathanIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, a former President of Nigeria has provided some reasons restructuring the country may just be a waste of time. Jonathan noted ...[Read more]