A man who was out celebrating his birthday was stabbed by an unhinged attacker — who then shoved his wife shoved down the stairs — inside a Bronx subway station earlier this week, cops said Thursday.
The 37-year-old man, who had downed a couple drinks during the Manhattan festivities, boarded a northbound 4 train with his 33-year-old wife at the Bowling Green station around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday when the couple spotted a man “acting belligerent” on the train, according to cops and police sources.
The husband confronted the stranger — telling him to quiet down — and the feud continued all the way to the Bronx, where the couple lives, cops said.
The pair got off at the above-ground station at East 170th Street and Jerome Avenue, where the stranger started following them down the stairs, police said.
He allegedly punched the male victim in the back of the head before stabbing him with a knife in the arm and right side of the torso.
When the woman tried to intervene, the suspect pushed her down the stairs before taking off, police said. She suffered injuries to her right leg and the right side of her torso.
Both victims were taken to Lincoln Medical Center in stable condition.
The suspect, shown in surveillance footage released by police, is about 30 years old, 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds.
He was last seen wearing a black Nike baseball hat, a blue face mask, a gray hooded sweatshirt, black pants and black sneakers with a black backpack.
- Homeless man dead after being kicked down Penn Station stairs: cops
- Man stabbed in Queens subway station, cops say
- Man fatally stabbed in Queens subway station, cops say
- City Council candidate Susan Lee pushed down subway stairs in random attack
- Elderly woman randomly shoved into stopped train at Queens subway station
- Woman shoved into metal pillar in NYC subway station
- 55-year-old woman shoved onto subway tracks in the Bronx
- Woman shoved onto subway tracks during robbery: cops
- Homeless sleep inches apart on shelter stairs after subway clearings
- Man stabbed, robbed in Queens subway station