An elderly New Jersey man has been charged with hacking his wife to death with a “butcher style” kitchen knife, authorities said.
Dieter R. Zimmermann, 73, was arrested Tuesday on charges of first-degree murder and weapons counts after his 69-year-old wife, Jaquelin Zimmermann, was discovered dead on a bathroom floor, the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office said.
Mahwah cops were responding to a domestic violence 911 call, an affidavit of probable cause obtained by The Post shows.
“Upon opening the door, Mr. Zimmermann stated ‘Oh good, I was just on the phone with you, my wife attacked me,’” the document shows.
An officer spotted scratch marks on Zimmermann’s neck, as well as cut on his finger that was bleeding before the man said his wife was “upstairs,” prosecutors said.
Jaquelin Zimmermann was then found face down on the floor of a bathroom next to the home’s master bedroom in a pool of blood. She was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
Investigators spotted what appeared to be defensive wounds on the woman’s hands, as well as a “butcher style” kitchen knife with a black handle atop a nearby vanity, according to the affidavit, portions of which were redacted.
“At no point did Jaquelin have possession of a knife,” investigators wrote.
Dieter Zimmerman later told police that he wished he no longer wanted to live during an interview, authorities said.
An unidentified third-party who also called police told investigators she got a phone call from Jaquelin just before she was killed, according to the affidavit.
“During the phone call, Jaquelin stated that her husband (Dieter) was trying to kill her,” the document states. “The call ended abruptly and the 911 caller then contacted police.”
A spokeswoman for Bergen County Prosecutor Mark Musella said Zimmerman is scheduled to make his initial court appearance Wednesday afternoon in Hackensack.
Zimmerman had not retained an attorney as of early Wednesday, spokeswoman Elizabeth Rebein said.
Zimmerman, who was also charged with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon, remained held without bond Wednesday at the Bergen County Jail, online records show.
Zimmermann was born in Germany, but is a United States citizen, the records indicate.
- AOC proposes funding to deprogram white supremacistsIn USAJanuary 16, 2021The federal government needs to fund the de-programming of white supremacists and conspiracy theorists, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said Friday ...[Read more]
- Wizkid celebrates second son, King Ayo on his 5th birthdayIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Superstar singer, Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun aka Wizkid has showered undying love on his second son, King Ayo as he celebrates his 5th birthday. 5 years ...[Read more]
- James Brown loses Instagram account, Bobrisky denies having handIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Controversial male barbie, Bobrisky has denied having hands in the loss of the Instagram account of fellow crossdresser, James Brown. James Brown had ...[Read more]
- Woman allegedly steals mail truck, crashes into more than 10 cars in NYCIn USAJanuary 16, 2021A woman is in custody after allegedly stealing a mail truck in Brooklyn and slamming it into at least 10 parked cars Friday night. The postal panic ...[Read more]
- 11 Gambino family members, associates plead guilty to multiple crimesIn USAJanuary 16, 2021A slew of admitted mobsters will now be trading their tony Westchester County digs for the bing. A Gambino captain and 10 members and associates of ...[Read more]
- State Sen. Luis Sepúlveda forced to deny domestic violence claim at toy driveIn USAJanuary 16, 2021A community leader co-hosting a toy giveaway with embattled state Sen. Luis Sepulveda erroneously let fly during the event Friday that the Bronx pol ...[Read more]
- Passengers and airline staff fight over flight cancellationIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Frustrated passengers created a scene Friday evening, Jan 15, at the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano, after their flight was cancelled. ...[Read more]
- Elderly NYC couple gets COVID-19 vaccine after plea to de BlasioIn USAJanuary 15, 2021They finally got their shot. An 89-year-old Manhattan woman who made a heartbreaking public plea to Mayor Bill de Blasio last week to get the ...[Read more]
- 1867 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in NigeriaIn NewsJanuary 15, 20211867 new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Nigeria on Friday, January 15, 2021. According to the Nigeria Center for Disease Control NCDC, Lagos ...[Read more]
- Dr. Dre released from hospital after suffering a brain aneurysmIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Dr. Dre has reportedly been released from hospital after suffering a brain aneurysm. According to TMZ, the hip-hop mogul went home on Friday, January ...[Read more]