A 28-year-old New Jersey man who was next to Ashli Babbitt when she was shot by police during the siege of the US Capitol building has been arrested, authorities said Wednesday.
Thomas Baranyi, a Peace Corps member who appeared in a widely circulated clip showing his bloody hand, was busted Tuesday by FBI agents on charges of disorderly conduct and being in a restricted building, according to court documents.
Baranyi appeared in court later that day and did not dispute that he appeared in the interview, officials said. He was released on $100,000 unsecured bond and barred from entering any government buildings.
In an interview with WUSA 9 outside the Capitol building and referenced in court papers, Baranyi gave his name and home state as he recounted the shooting of Babbitt.
“[W]e had stormed into the chambers inside and there was a young lady who rushed through the windows. A number of police and Secret Service were saying, ‘Get down, get out of the way,’” he recalled, according to the affidavit. “She didn’t heed the call and as we kind of raced up to try to grab people and pull them back, they shot her in the neck, and she fell back on me.”
He added, “[I]t could have been me, but she went in first. It was one of us.”
Babbitt, a 35-year-old Air Force vet from California, was fatally shot during riots as she tried to climb through a smashed window on a door in the Capitol building.
The FBI agent cited much of the interview in the affidavit and confirmed his identity with his driver’s license photo, court docs show.
The New Jersey man went on to explain “he entered the building on the side ‘with the scaffolding,’” the court docs say.
“[W]e tore through the scaffolding, through flash bangs and tear gas, and blitzed our way through all the chambers just trying to get into Congress or whoever we could get in to and tell them that we need some kind of investigation into this,” he said in the interview.
“It was a joke to them until we got inside and then guns came out, but we’re at a point now, it can’t be allowed to stand. We have to do something. People have to do something,” Baranyi added, according to records.
Baranyi was arrested in Ewing, New Jersey, but his hometown wasn’t clear.
He could not be immediately reached for comment.
- AOC proposes funding to deprogram white supremacistsIn USAJanuary 16, 2021The federal government needs to fund the de-programming of white supremacists and conspiracy theorists, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said Friday ...[Read more]
- Wizkid celebrates second son, King Ayo on his 5th birthdayIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Superstar singer, Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun aka Wizkid has showered undying love on his second son, King Ayo as he celebrates his 5th birthday. 5 years ...[Read more]
- James Brown loses Instagram account, Bobrisky denies having handIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Controversial male barbie, Bobrisky has denied having hands in the loss of the Instagram account of fellow crossdresser, James Brown. James Brown had ...[Read more]
- Woman allegedly steals mail truck, crashes into more than 10 cars in NYCIn USAJanuary 16, 2021A woman is in custody after allegedly stealing a mail truck in Brooklyn and slamming it into at least 10 parked cars Friday night. The postal panic ...[Read more]
- 11 Gambino family members, associates plead guilty to multiple crimesIn USAJanuary 16, 2021A slew of admitted mobsters will now be trading their tony Westchester County digs for the bing. A Gambino captain and 10 members and associates of ...[Read more]
- State Sen. Luis Sepúlveda forced to deny domestic violence claim at toy driveIn USAJanuary 16, 2021A community leader co-hosting a toy giveaway with embattled state Sen. Luis Sepulveda erroneously let fly during the event Friday that the Bronx pol ...[Read more]
- Passengers and airline staff fight over flight cancellationIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Frustrated passengers created a scene Friday evening, Jan 15, at the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano, after their flight was cancelled. ...[Read more]
- Elderly NYC couple gets COVID-19 vaccine after plea to de BlasioIn USAJanuary 15, 2021They finally got their shot. An 89-year-old Manhattan woman who made a heartbreaking public plea to Mayor Bill de Blasio last week to get the ...[Read more]
- 1867 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in NigeriaIn NewsJanuary 15, 20211867 new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Nigeria on Friday, January 15, 2021. According to the Nigeria Center for Disease Control NCDC, Lagos ...[Read more]
- Dr. Dre released from hospital after suffering a brain aneurysmIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Dr. Dre has reportedly been released from hospital after suffering a brain aneurysm. According to TMZ, the hip-hop mogul went home on Friday, January ...[Read more]