NJ naval base briefly shut down, woman busted in bomb scare

Personnel at a New Jersey US Naval base have been ordered to shelter in place after a woman drove up to the main gate Thursday evening and said she had a bomb in her car.

The unidentified woman, who has made “previous attempts” to get into the base and has been barred, was being given a ticket after she pulled up to the main gate around 5:20 p.m.

That’s when she told security that she had a bomb in the car, Naval Weapons Station Earle in Colts Neck said in a press release.

NJ naval base shut down, woman busted in bomb scare
An arial view of Naval Weapons Station Earle in Colts Neck, New Jersey.
U.S. Navy

The threat triggered a shutdown of the area and the shelter-in-place order.

“SHELTER IN PLACE,” base officials said on Twitter. “THE COMMANDING OFFICER HAS ORDERED SHELTER IN PLACE ON THE MAINSIDE OF THE INSTALLTION (sic) WITH THE EXCEPTION OF 700 HOUSING DUE TO A BOMB THREAT AT THE MAIN GATE.”

Authorities said the unidentified woman’s 2019 gray Nissan Altima remained at the gate.

Shortly after 9:30 p.m., base officials said on Twitter that the base had been cleared and the shelter-in-place order was lifted.

“Navy EOD responded to the incident and rendered the area safe, determining no explosive device was present,” the tweet said.

Base officials said Colts Neck police assisted in the incident.

Metro | New York Post

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


88  −    =  86