ALBANY — Five new state-run coronavirus vaccination sites will open this week to administer shots to eligible New Yorkers — including a reactivation of Manhattan’s Jacob Javits Center, which served as a COVID-19 field hospital during the pandemic’s start.
Javits, along with the Westchester County Center in White Plains and the New York State Fair Expo Center in Syracuse are slated to open Wednesday at 8 a.m. for people who have already made appointments.
Two additional locations — one at Jones Beach and SUNY Albany — will follow, opening Thursday and Friday.
“New York State is rapidly expanding our networks and capabilities to get as many New Yorkers vaccinated as fast as our supply allows,” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo in a statement.
“The new vaccine sites across the State will expedite our distribution to get our most vulnerable New Yorkers vaccinated efficiently. Our greatest hindrance continues to be federal inaction.”
An additional 15 sites will be announced within the next several days, in conjunction with private doctors’ offices, county health departments, pharmacies and federally-qualified health centers, according to the state.
Mayor Bill de Blasio announced earlier Wednesday that a new 24/7 covid-19 vaccination hub will open at Citi Field at the end of January with the capacity to administer 7,000 shots daily.
The city plans to more ’round-the-clock sites in Gotham. On Tuesday, it opened one at 125 Worth St. in Lower Manhattan, and over the next several days new locations at NYC Health + Hospitals Gotham Health on Staten Island, a yet-to-be-disclosed site in Corona, Queens, and another at the Empire Outlets on Staten Island.
Since mid-December, 665,172 coronavirus vaccine doses have been administered in the Empire State out of roughly 1.1 million doses delivered, as allocated by the federal government, according to state data.
Cuomo and the state Health Department have been criticized for being slow to get jabs into the arms of New Yorkers more quickly.
Hospital and frontline healthcare workers, along with nursing home residents and staff, were the first eligible to get the shots, but over the last week the eligibility requirements have been loosened to include essential police, firefighters, teachers and the elderly.
As of Tuesday, all New Yorkers age 65 and older are now able to request appointments for the coveted jabs.
- My wife wants to kill me, plans to marry another man – Man tells courtIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 48-year-old man, Akeem Bello, on Monday appeared before an Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court for allegedly causing the death of two persons through ...[Read more]
- Mr Eazi Set To To Release New EP “Something Else”In Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Singer Mr Eazi has shared some major news with his fans and they are super excited about it. The singer today shared a video on his Instagram page ...[Read more]
- “Ask Google or Siri” – Odion Ighalo’s wife to fans asking about her marital status after changing nameIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 25, 2021Sonia Ighalo, wife of a popular professional footballer, Odion Ighalo has disregarded questions involving her marital status. This is coming after ...[Read more]
- 10 Trendy Professional Handbags Perfect For The Everyday Work HassleIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Hey, hi there! so I heard you have been on the lookout of late for the perfect professional handbags that will perfectly complement your look, be it ...[Read more]
- ‘He is Jovial’ – Actor, Alesh Narrates Encounter with Davido (Video)In EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021He is Jovial’ – Actor, Alesh Narrates Encounter with Davido. The popular Nigerian actor, Alesh, after a surprising encounter with music maestro, ...[Read more]
- “Don’t judge people by what you heard about them” – Actor, Alesh says after encounter with Davido (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 25, 2021After a surprising encounter with music maestro, Davido, Nigerian actor, Alesh has advised people not to judge others by what they heard about them. ...[Read more]
- His status at Chelsea is undiminished – Abramovich breaks silence on Lampard’s sackIn SportsJanuary 25, 2021Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has said Frank Lampard’s status as a Chelsea legend “remains undiminished” despite his sack. In a statement on the ...[Read more]
- New bill would decriminalize sex work in New YorkIn USAJanuary 25, 2021A new bill that would decriminalize sex work in New York — while still holding pimps and buyers accountable — is set to be introduced in the state ...[Read more]
- Uganda Court Orders End To Bobi Wine House ArrestIn Celebrity News, Nigeria News, World NewsJanuary 25, 2021Uganda’s High Court on Monday ordered security forces to end their confinement of presidential election runner-up Bobi Wine. The presidential ...[Read more]
- SAD NEWS: Actor Eddie Nartey’s Wife Dies 2 Years After Their MarriageIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Actor Eddie Nartey‘s wife, Vida Obenewah Nartey, is dead just two years after their marriage. Teary Eddie Nartey announced the death of his wife in ...[Read more]