More kids than ever will be able to get into the city’s 3-K preschool program for 3-year-old students, as the Department of Education has offered more than 33,000 of the free spots to families this year, officials said.
The early education seats were also for the first time made available in all 32 city districts, the DOE said Wednesday.
The number of 2023 placements is nearly double last year’s total of 17,455 — and more than three times the 9,518 slots offered in 2019.
“As we build a recovery for us all, 3-K and Pre-K will continue to lead the way in supporting New York City’s children and working families,” said Mayor de Blasio in a statement.
The DOE said that 92 percent of families who applied to get into next fall’s 3-K got an offer and 76 percent were placed into one of their top three choices.
The programs were made available in 20 additional districts this year and will continue to expand, officials said.
“Our expansion to every district this fall will provide even more students with a strong start in school and life, and we’re conducting outreach over the summer to encourage additional families to sign up,” said schools Chancellor Meisha Ross-Porter in a statement.
The city is aiming to provide universal 3-K access by 2023.
“3-K for All is the nation’s most ambitious effort to provide universal, free, full-day, high-quality early childhood education for every three-year-old child and builds on the success of Pre-K for All,” the DOE said.
Metro | New York Post
- Carranza expands his DOE staff despite looming teacher shortage, layoffs
- NYC families say DOE dropped French dual-language program at last minute
- COVID-19: Global education coalition offers free internet access for distance education
- NYC’s DOE has given up on education during coronavirus lockdown
- De Blasio announces ThriveNYC expansion at DOE, offers few details
- DOE will pay more than $1.1M to settle Queens principal discrimination suit
- 311 expands into NYC subway system to combat homelessness, panhandling
- NYC expands law against hair discrimination
- NYC expands indoor dining to 50 percent capacity
- Gov. Cuomo expands NYC indoor dining to 75 percent capacity