A Department of Education official lashed out at supporters of the specialized high school entrance exam, calling them “bigots” in an online screed.
The accusation was leveled in the comment section of a since-deleted Facebook post of a New York Post article about Schools Chancellor Meisha Ross-Porter’s call to end the tests.
Ross-Porter called the current test — which is overwhelmingly aced by Asian students — “unacceptable.”
Some members of the Ozone Park Residents Block Association group on Facebook called for Ross-Porter’s resignation, claiming she was unfairly attacking the “hard working,” “low income” Asian minority group.
Queens Director of Intergovernmental Affairs at NYC Department of Education Alain Berrouet claimed that sentiment was biased against black students, who represent just a small fraction of those who passed the exam.
“Just more ‘Bigots’ on this thread trying to justify the soft intellectual genocide of black children. We see you,” the black official commented, in response to those defending the test, according to screenshots reviewed by The Post.
In response to a user who wrote, “The secret is study hard,” Bee retorted, “So are you saying that Black students are lazy and don’t ‘study hard’? Stop with the coded language and just admit to your bigotry and belief of Stereotypes.”
Another commenter called Bee out on the harsh rhetoric.
“You took ‘study hard’ as a racist comment. Which is bulls–t,” the user replied.
In the latest test needed to enter the city’s nine specialized schools, Asians comprised 53.7 percent of those admitted, while 27.9 percent of students who passed were white.
Of the rest of the students that were accepted only 5.4 percent were Hispanic and 3.6 percent were black.
“I know from my 21 years as an educator that far more students could thrive in our Specialized High Schools, if only given the chance,” the new superintendent said in a statement Thursday.
“Instead, the continued use of the Specialized High School Admissions Test will produce the same unacceptable results over and over again, and it’s far past the time for our students to be fairly represented in these schools.”
Ross-Porter was swiftly blasted by Asian community members who called her remarks biased against young studious members of the minority group, which has increasingly been the target of violent hate crimes in the boroughs and beyond.
“What is unacceptable is the targeting of one particular group,” said activist Wai Wah Chin. “Especially with what we see happening on the streets of this city. What is unacceptable is telling Asians that they don’t belong in these schools despite their hard work.”
- Barcelona out, LaLiga title to be decided on last day between Atletico, RealIn SportsMay 16, 2021This year’s LaLiga title will be decided on the final day of the season in the Spanish topflight. Atletico beat Osasuna 2-1 at home on Sunday, to ...[Read more]
- Suspect in string of NYC bank robberies bustedIn USAMay 16, 2021A convicted serial bank robber is back behind bars after allegedly pulling off a string of Big Apple heists — while still on parole for previous bank ...[Read more]
- Stop Waiting For Aso Rock – Atiku Tells Nigerian GovernorsIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has urged governors from all states to come together and solve the insecurity facing the country ...[Read more]
- Man charged with shattering NYPD patrol car windowIn USAMay 16, 2021The rear windshield of an NYPD patrol car was smashed in Manhattan as officers responded to a call of a man with a knife, the city’s largest police ...[Read more]
- You Don’t Have To Reveal Anything To Be Beautiful — Actress, Olayode Juliana To WomenIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress, Juliana Olayode has dished out a word of advice to her fellow ladies in a recent post on social media that has ...[Read more]
- GPLwk25: Hearts beat Elmina Sharks to reclaim second placeIn Ghana, NewsMay 16, 2021Accra Hearts of Oak beat Elmina Sharks 2-0 on Sunday at the Accra Sports Stadium, in a matchday 25 encounter, to move back into second place on the ...[Read more]
- Others Were Accepted But I Was Rejected Thrice At Ritualists Shrine – Nurse Kidnapped In Rivers State Shares Her Chilling EncounterIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT An 18-year-old auxiliary nurse, Rachael David, has narrated how close she came to death as she was abducted by suspected ritualists in ...[Read more]
- “My Lower Body Was Detached From The Upper Body” – Nigerian Woman Marks 15 Years Since She Survived Ghastly Motor A1ccidentIn Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT According to her, she was involved in a ghastly motor accident on her way back from church and left for dead by the driver and rider. ...[Read more]
- MTA exec accuses mayor of being out of touch with subway safety fearsIn USAMay 16, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio’s hulking height and security team leave him out of touch with the reality of subway safety, Interim Transit President Sarah ...[Read more]
- ‘Follow Your Wife’- Davido Tells Tiwa Savage Son, Jamil To Take His Rightful Place As Imade’s Future Husband [VIDEO]In Nigeria NewsMay 16, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Interestingly, Nigerian singer and songwriter, David Adeleke popularly known as Davido knows exactly who will put the wedding ring on ...[Read more]