Polarizing Department of Education Chancellor Richard Carranza is abruptly stepping down effective March 15 after nearly three controversial years at the helm, city officials announced Friday.
He will be replaced by current Bronx Executive Superintendent Meisha Ross-Porter, according to the DOE.
Officials said that Carranza does not have a new position lined up and is stepping away from his role to regroup after losing 11 family members to the coronavirus.
“It has been my greatest honor to serve as New York City Schools Chancellor and I can’t think of anyone who would be better to take the helm than Meisha Porter,” Carranza said in a statement.
From the outset of his administration, Carranza pointedly elevated race as a focal point of his administration — a position that drew applause from some quarters but intense opposition from others.
The native of Arizona drew especially fierce opposition from Asian community groups who objected to diversity initiatives that would drastically slash their numbers at top city schools.
Carranza’s inaugural controversy arrived early in his administration when he retweeted a story about a group of Manhattan parents objecting to a policy shift.
“WATCH: Wealthy white Manhattan parents angrily rant against plan to bring more black kids to their schools,” the posting read.
The tweet was a harbinger of things to come for the remainder of Carranza’s time in New York.
The outspoken schools chief frequently clashed with parents at public meetings — and once abruptly left a chaotic Queens gathering during a heated exchange with a mother over school safety.
The DOE asserted Friday that Carranza advanced the nation’s largest school system and cited gains in graduation rates and other fundamental metrics as evidence.
But critics have long charged education officials with diluting academic standards in order to produce attractive statistics — an assertion that predates Carranza.
In announcing her appointment, DOE officials lauded Porter as an effective DOE veteran with experience at all levels of senior administration.
“As a lifelong New Yorker, a product of our City’s public schools, and a career educator, it is the honor of my lifetime to serve as Chancellor,” she said in a statement. “Mayor de Blasio and Chancellor Carranza have laid an incredible foundation for me and I am ready to hit the ground running and lead New York City schools to a full recovery.”
But Porter has also seen her share of controversies.
She raised eyebrows in 2019 after throwing herself a $45,000 bash to celebrate her promotion to a top position.
Wearing a tiara, Porter entered the packed ballroom in a glass elevator during event.
Carranza and Porter are expected to appear alongside de Blasio at 10 a.m. this morning for a press conference.
- “I Regret Not Becoming A US Citizen” – Chimamanda Adichie SaysIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Well-known award-winning Nigerian writer Chimamanda Adichie has lamented over the state of her country Nigeria and her regrets as a ...[Read more]
- “Most parents can’t say ‘I love you’ because they were raised brutally” – Toke MakinwaIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular OAP, Toke Makinwa argues that most parents from the previous generations were raised in a harsh and brutal way. According to the divorcee, in ...[Read more]
- “Skin like miliki” – Bobrisky mocked for allegedly using fake skincare productsIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular crossdresser, Bobrisky has been mocked for allegedly using fake skincare products in the course of trying to arrive at a glowing and flawless ...[Read more]
- Six Suspected Cultists Apprehended During Initiation In AnambraIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Operatives of the Anambra State Police Command have apprehended six suspected cultists. The ages of these suspected cultists are ...[Read more]
- “We are the bad friends we all complain about” – Toyin Abraham educates on friendshipIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Award-winning Nollywood actress, Toyin Abraham sheds light on the topic of friendship and how pointing fingers ruin a friendship faster. According to ...[Read more]
- Ahmed Musa: Bashir Ahmad, Shehu Sani react as Super Eagles captain joins Kano PillarsIn SportsApril 14, 2021Porto head coach, Sergio Conceicao, has accused Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel, of insulting him during his side’s Champions League quarter-final ...[Read more]
- Four men arrested after woman’s body found in car trunk in Far RockawayIn USAApril 14, 2021Four men are in custody after cops caught them hauling a woman’s body wrapped in a blanket and stashing it in the trunk of a car in the dead of ...[Read more]
- “Rather than fighting for God, fight bad leaders” – Actor, Yul Edochie tells fanaticsIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular Nollywood actor, Yul Edochie has advised religious fanatics to fight against things that are physical such as bad leaders, rather than ...[Read more]
- See Group Photo Toyin Abraham Posted That Has Top Celebrities Like Ini Edo and Other Awardees In itIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham to her Instagram page to share a lovely group photo that was taken at the Eko Film and TV Awards. The ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Tuchel insulted me – Porto coach, ConceicaoIn SportsApril 14, 2021Porto head coach, Sergio Conceicao, has accused Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel, of insulting him during his side’s Champions League quarter-final ...[Read more]