City Hall will yank the Trump Organization’s multimillion-dollar contracts to operate four popular attractions in the Big Apple’s public parks, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Wednesday.
Hizzoner accused the president of inciting the mob that rioted on Capitol Hill in violation of provisions barring criminal behavior.
“The contracts make very clear that if the company and the leadership of that company is engaged in illegal activity, we have a right to severe the contract,” de Blasio said on MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe’ on Wednesday morning. “Inciting an insurrection against the United States government clearly constitutes criminal activity.”
“So, the City of New York will no longer have anything to do with the Trump Organization,” he added.
The Trump Organization operates four major attractions in city parks: Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point in The Bronx; the Wollman Rink at the southern part of Central Park, the Lasker Rink at the northern end of Central Park and the famed Central Park Carousel.
Records filed with city Comptroller Scott Stringer estimate that the contracts are worth more than $45 million dollars. About $36 million accounts for the pair of rinks.
President Trump owns the Trump Organization, but his sons, Don Jr. and Eric Trump, run the company.
Eric Trump slammed the city’s decision.
“Yet another example of Mayor de Blasio’s incompetence and blatant disregard for the facts,” he said in a statement to ABC News. “The City of New York has no legal right to end our contracts and if they elect to proceed, they will owe The Trump Organization over $30 million.”
He added: “This is nothing more than political discrimination and we plan to fight vigorously”
The Trump Organization didn’t immediately return a message from The Post seeking comment.
Mark Clyman, a Manhattan corporate lawyer at Wilk Auslander LLP, said nixing the contracts might not be clear cut.
“They would need to find grounds for termination,” Clyman told The Post Tuesday.
He had not seen the contracts.
“The bottom line is if there isn’t a clear, delineated way to terminate the agreement by the city then there is not much you can do,” he added. “You can’t terminate a contract without a right to terminate … otherwise you would be subject to breach of contract and monetary damages.”
The announcement comes the House begins second impeachment proceedings against Trump Wednesday over his alleged role in inciting the violence that left five dead.
De Blasio reached the decision to cancel the contracts just a day after he announced they would be examined.
- NMA reveals how COVID-19 cases are increasing in NigeriaIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Suspected yahoo boys filmed spraying bundles of money into a river (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 16, 2021A video has surfaced on social media showing the moment some young Nigerian men believed to be internet fraudsters, commonly called yahoo boys were ...[Read more]
- Watch Kamaldeen Sulemana’s cheeky finish for Nordsjaelland in win over HelsingorIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 16, 2021Black Stars teenage sensation, Kamaldeen Sulamana, scored an amazing goal for Norsdjaelland in their 4-2 win over FC Helsingor in a friendly played ...[Read more]
- 2021: Fresh prophecies about Pope Francis, Pastors Kumuyi, Adeboye, Bakare, T.B Joshua, Oyedepo, others emergeIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Paternity Scandal: ‘I’m not leaving my husband’ – Wife of FCMB MD, NuruIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Socialite Susan Gutfreund sells $7.4M spoils of family’s tarnished pastIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021In the mid-1980s, Susan and John Gutfreund were the queen and king of New York’s high-society scene, making their mark in Page Six with their ...[Read more]
- Infrastructure: Senator Orji tasks leaders on welfare of citizenryIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Former Abia State Governor and the Senator representing Abia Central District in the red chamber of the National Assembly, Chief Theodore Orji,has ...[Read more]
- Three suspected armed robbers arrested in OsunIn Local NewsJanuary 16, 2021No fewer than two persons have been arrested for illegally sewing uniform of Oyo State Security Network Agency also known as Amotekun. DAILY POST ...[Read more]
- Aguleri/Umuleri crisis: Obiano imposes 3-day curfewIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Former Abia State Governor and the Senator representing Abia Central District in the red chamber of the National Assembly, Chief Theodore Orji,has ...[Read more]
- The true story of Allan ‘Mr. Apology’ Bridge, founder of an apology hotlineIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021New York is a city of secrets. The man who called himself Mr. Apology knew more than 100,000 of them thanks to his Apology Line, which let people ...[Read more]